Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Gladius - Pompeii
Quote:Robert, sounds we are saying almost the some.
I absolutely agree on the standardization of production ,linked to the historical period, and thus in the identification of the main types, just I don't believe in the exasperation of this concept, so I don't think is possible to talk about sub-types.
When Romans , as you well said, made the newest model of the gladius best fit for the job at hand, then each blacksmith forged the swords according his style .
If you compare all pompeii known , as well as hispaniensis or mainz or ring-pommel, you realize that each sword is quite different from the others , similar of course but not identical, sometimes also very different.

In the meantime is true that there are some swords almost unidentifiable.

Thake a look at this sword, it 's blade is similar to a mainz type but it has the ring pommel. What can we say in this case , is it a mainz type or a ring-pommel type?
[Image: lama403cm.jpg]

and this other one has still a ring pommel , but the blade seems from a republican hispaninesis. Is it a strange hispaninesis or a strange ring-pommel?
[Image: catphoto1.jpg]

all above is just mine opinon , of course Smile
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Here a small update from my side:

this week I spend some time at Roberts place to glance through Miks.
I must say the Gladius has a lot of similarity with the Mainz type but we concluded it's indeed a Pompeii and it Variante "Klassisch".
Especially the reinforced tip of the Gladius made us come to this conclusion.

Robert many thanks!

Best,

Jos

P.s. for the people who has Miks; my Gladius is most similar with #A736 on tafel 31.
Best Regards,

Jos Hemmes

"Have I neither friend nor foe?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz vs Pompeii Gladius 1493541 2 2,337 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Last Post: 1493541
  Pompeii gladius guard plate, such a thing? Titus Marius Secundus 1 1,459 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius