Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Black\' armour
Crispvs. As you may well know the crest holder of the "Italic D" has a T shaped slot, where the crest would have been placed in and slid forward. There are no hooks or rings at the front or rear of this helmet and of course the crest has to be anchored, where else on that helmet can a crest be held other than the two bronze pillars that hold the peek.
Then where we consider the "Gallic D" this has a double slot crest holder and yet again no hooks front or rear, and of course one must consider the quality of this helmet in particular it's peek the all over astragal silver rosettes and also it's overall rope work edging. I would think that it is safe to conclude that both of these helmets can be considered as having belonged to Centurians.
Brian Stobbs
Salve!
Very interesting discussion, not normally something I would engage in-out of my depth. I prefer to stick to cultural identity in Hellenistic and Roman east.
Anyway, sorry I digress, could I ask, as I have reserected this thread. Where I might find specific archaeological information pertaining to examples of LS finds in their 'shiny' state. Also if not too much trouble, any references to field maintenance and manufacturing. Not something primary sources are very interested in, but perhaps some recent study in JRS?
Thank you very much for you time
Χαίρε