Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Content of cohortes equitatae
Greetings!

I'm from Hungary, Dunaújváros (in the ancient: Intercisa, Pannonia Inferior) where I just now make a reenactment group. The unit what we want to present was a cohortes milliariae equitatae (cohortes I milliaria Hemesenorum), an archer unit (the soldiers were recruited from Hemesa, Syria). But we want to know that only archers served in a basically archer unit or maybe were there heavy infantrymen with spear and oval shield (clipeus)? And the cavalry? Were there only horse archers or heavy horsemen, too? Is there something information about this?

Thank for the help!
C. Aerius Lev.
Quote:Greetings!

I'm from Hungary, Dunaújváros (in the ancient: Intercisa, Pannonia Inferior) where I just now make a reenactment group. The unit what we want to present was a cohortes milliariae equitatae (cohortes I milliaria Hemesenorum), an archer unit (the soldiers were recruited from Hemesa, Syria). But we want to know that only archers served in a basically archer unit or maybe were there heavy infantrymen with spear and oval shield (clipeus)? And the cavalry? Were there only horse archers or heavy horsemen, too? Is there something information about this?

Thank for the help!
C. Aerius Lev.

A group of horsemen only was called "Ala"
A group of infantrymen only was called "cohors"
Logically, a "cohors equitata" should contain both infantry and cavalry (or this name would have no reason to be)
a group of archers (partly or only) was called "cohors sagitarriorum" (and your group is actually the "Cohors I Milliaria Hemesenorum Sagitarriorum", see here) : my thought (there could be a nice discussion about it) is that archers wheren't alone in this troop, just like horsemen ; so there should have been infantrymen, horsemen & archers... and I am not sure wether they were mounted or not (the all of them or some of them)
Curmi da! (Gallic for "Give me some beer!")

Deprosagios/Grégory Luguet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cohortes civium Romanorum Jona Lendering 16 4,426 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Iagoba
  slingers, regular cohortes or irregular numeri? Anonymous 5 2,380 08-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Anonymous