Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needed:Plans for a Roman Fruit Press
Ave to all!!!
I and my spouse, the Lady J, (ak.a. Domina Antonia), are looking for plans for a late Republic/ Early Principate Fruit press so thaty when our Falernian type grapevines come to fruit, we can make Falernian type wines. My wife and I are S.C.A. recognized master vintners and we wish to make Falernian type wines. We are being sent soil analysis from the Mount Falernia courtesy of some professors we know so we will be able to amend the soil as needed. Unfortunately, our professorial friends could not find plans over in Italy due to time constraints. The Embassy we called, suggested I contact the RAT.
So here I am again, asking for help. Thanks in advance Big Grin D D
Salve,
Vitruvius a.k.a Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I cannot find now my photographs of the Villa of Mysteries at Pompeii however if you should contact the Museum in Naples they may have pics' or even plans of the press that is in that Villa. It is actually a huge square box with a very long beam that is pulled down by ropes anchored to the floor, the beam is around 12 feet long and has a wonderfull Rams head on the end of it. There are also little stone channels along the wall that run the juice down to a very large Amphora of about 4 feet diameter that is sunk into the floor, I suppose that was how they kept the wine cool.

PS should I find my pics' of it I will contact
Brian Stobbs
Reconstruction of a wine press in the Museo del Vino de Peñafiel (Valladolid), courtesy of Flickr:

[Image: 2497437096_b6b0980c30.jpg]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Vitruvius,
K.D.White has some good info about presses in his "Greek and Roman Technology". if you don't have access to a copy PM me and I'll forward it to you from mine. From what I recall, if you want to stay Republican/Early Principate your choices are rather limited. The evidence points to variations on the Catonian lever beam press. If you can move up to Pliny/Pompeii/Heron you can look at screw presses, either levered or direct screw pressure. Another possibility is the wedge-and-beam press from a wall painting in pompeii. That one may actually be the simplest since it doesn't require the cutting of a precise wooden screw.
Regards,
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Ave to all,
AGreat Big Thank you to you who have answered my questions with regards to the wine and olive press. We have a great start thanks to you all. The Domina Antonia and I, once we can get said presses made, will be more than glad, if we can ship the bottles over, to send those of you who have been helpful, a few bottles Big Grin D D
Again, thank you all very much,

Vitruvius and Domina Antonia...a.k.a. Larry + Jaqui Mager
Larry A. Mager
Slightly OT...but what was the kind of grape that was lost when Vesuvius erupted?

Legion: TBD
Ave Matt,
Not really OT, it wasn't that the grape species was lost when Vesuvius erupted, in fact the two species, one white and one "red" are still being grown on the slopes of Mt. Falernia ( Its modern name escapes me at the moment). According to the American Institute of Archeology, One can buy bottles of it in Italy.....How about it, fellow Italian RAT members...feel free to jump in...any of your comments would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin D D
The Domina and I are really enthused and inspired by those of you who are taking an interest in this field. I will try to answer any questions any one else has as they come up...
Salve for now
Vitruvius and Domina Antonia a.k.a Larry +Jaqui Mager
Larry A. Mager

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Scutum Press Marcus Artorius Silvanus 8 2,363 04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Marcus Artorius Silvanus