Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
I prefer to use sources when giving new info or sources which were not introduced before me by the people I have a discussion with. Aelian was given as a source regarding synaspismos and Callisthenes (Polybius' account as was also given some posts ago) has Alexander march his phalanx 32 deep, then 16 and last 8, which by all means can be interpreted as marching in open formation, closing to "pyknosis" and then further closing to "yperpyknosis" or "synaspismos" (as is used by Aelian, Asclepiodotus and Onassander). I personally disagree with the opinion that a phalanx could fight 4 men deep, something that is never described in any battle concerning the Macedonian phalanx (it is attested regarding hopitic as well as Roman warfare). Macedonian phalanxes 32 deep in close formation are also attested, but never a fighting formation of 4.

In all, it is mandatory that sources are given to prove a point, but for the sake of discussion among people who are supposed to be something more like dabblers, sometimes it is better to raise a point, an opinion, a question and then support it with sources, if there is a doubt. Sourcing every word is rather cumbersome in an informal discussion, yet must be given when challenged or when the discussion is about sources.

Yet, Aelian, in his account, gives the number of a lochos as nt constant but he says "let's assume a file of 16 men". then he talks about how a "dilochia" can form as a file (32 deep). We cannot tell with certainty whether Aelian implies a synaspismos of 4 men, there is no such mention in his work (nor in Asclepiodotus', Onassander's, or Arrian's). In order to support that a 4 men Macedonian phalanx ever existed you are the one who actually have to bring forward some source which will clearly state such an encounter. But I can and will bring forward more sources, since you asked me to. It certainly is an interesting issue.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Macedon - 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,268 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,561 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,735 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos