Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Paralus wrote:
Quote:Not at all my good man, not at all. If I am grasping at anything it would be your suggestion that the original group from whom the hypaspists were "desceded" were aspis-carrying noblity ("townies" if I recall) that attended the king. Just something else to think about.

And it is clear that Ptolemy did refer to the Royal hypaspists as somatophylakes on more than one occasion. This is when Arrian does not refer to them as hetairoi. Diodorus also calls them somatophylakes at Philip's murder (as well as doryphoroi). Just as clearly they are a distinct unit of the hypaspist corps and scions of the nobility.

I'm not sure I suggested that the Hypaspists were "descended' from 'townies' at all! Rather, that Hoplites were known in Macedonia and had been part of the army in an earlier era, and that they likely came from among the cities of Greek colonists, or less likely, that they were Greek mercenaries......

Like I said, I'm not going to be drawn into a debate about somatophylakes......at least not at present!! :wink: :wink:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 05-25-2009, 06:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,268 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,562 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,735 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos