Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote: ...I don't make any such categorical assumption at all, and for example, if you read my article on the battle of Sellasia in "Ancient Warfare", you will see that I believe the Macedonian phalanx initially formed up with it's two component units one behind the other, 32 deep, then finally 16 deep in 'Epallelos'( interlocked phalanx)/ locked shields at 1 cubit/18 inches or so per man..... as I pointed out in my previous post, in this passage Polybius doesn't say, indeed no author says, that the Macedonians actually fought 16 deep. There would be no need to add "after it has closed up" because it is clear from the the previous paragraph that he is talking about a 'close order' phalanx, and if my hypothesis is correct then his readers would know that a 16 deep phalanx in 'normal'/open order with the men 6 feet apart ( as Polybius categorically states) would close up to 8 deep to fight.

I will read your piece: I have back-ordered the mag.

You will excuse me then for thinking that it is your assertion that the Macedonina phalanx fought eight deep: this appears to be the import of the interpretation (hypothesis - unproved) you apply to Polybios.

I will agree to disagree with the interpretaion you apply to Polybios' words to support your hypothesis as there is the possibility it is incorrect.

Quote:No, since the word used is 'force' or 'division',(depending on translation) and not the word 'cavalry' as later (see below)the implication, I believe, is that the whole contingent, Horse and foot, is meant. Later, when talking of the impending cavalry battle, greek cavalry are specifically referred to.... put this implication together with other evidence and the idea that the Greeks were nearly all on the left flank ( with some, peltasts most likely, on the right flank), and this becomes a distinct possibility.....

Again, this is wrong. It is clear that Arrian is referring to cavalry. His final statement of the dispositions - just prior to engagement - makes this quite plain:

Quote:On the left wing the infantry consisting of the Cretan archers and the Thracians under command of Sitalces were posted in front; and before these the cavalry towards the left. The Grecian mercenaries were drawn up as a reserve for all of them.

The afforementioned units (previous post) were cavalry ordered out to Parmenion just as the Companions, Thessalians, et al were ordered out to the right.

Quote:At all events, I believe we have exhausted all the evidence regarding Polybius/Callisthenes, and it cannot be denied that at Issus at least, Alexander's Phalanx fought 8 deep in close order.

Agreed. We disgree on the reason it did so.

Quote:I'm off to the Sunshine Coast for four days as of now to beachcomb etc!

And I shall, for Easter and the following week, be on the Gold Coast. The children will occupy Wet'n'Wild Water World, Dream World, Sea World and Warner Bros Movie Land and I will occupy the adult theme park Liquor Land. I shall be found in Twocans staging mock phalanx battles with empty black beer bottles in, most likely, loose drinking order...6 deep.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 03-27-2009, 04:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,268 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,560 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,735 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos