Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylus Help
I have done a google search for good picture of styli. I would like to make one myself since they do not appear too difficult to make.

I have not really come up with anything. I was looking for James Curle Newstead styli or ones found at Vindonissa.

Does anyone have good detailed photos and dimensions of styli from the 1st Century AD.

Thanks in advance
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Which material do you prefer?

Most of the stili I´ve seen are made of iron (often with bronze inlays), then followed by those made of bronze. A few bony stili have survived, too - just like this one which I made following an example from Augst AUGUSTA RAURICA, Switzerland): [url:1l1os6k6]http://www.roemischer-vicus.de/p_wachstafelmacher_bild19.htm[/url]

I´m positive that I have a couple of pictures which might be of interest for you.
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
I'll have to look the dating up again, but here is one I made some time ago:

[Image: RouffachStilus_5.jpg]

Literature: Michel Feugere. Stylet inscrit de Rouffach (Haut-Rhin). Gallia 57, 2000. p227-29.
Thanks for the replies.

I would like to make one in iron and another in bronze.

I too like the decorative ones. fwg if you have any pictures showing the iron stili with inlays, I would appreciate it.

Martin, those are beautiful. Excellent work.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Martin,

Would you have pictures of the originals? I have never seen stili quite like that before.

Paolo
Quote:Would you have pictures of the originals? I have never seen stili quite like that before.

It is just one stilus, with a different inscription on each side. Here you go (from page 228 of Michel Feugere. Stylet inscrit de Rouffach (Haut-Rhin). Gallia 57, 2000. p227-29) ...

[Image: FeugereStilus_03Detail.jpg]
Does that roughly translate "My art of love proceeds with study"?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Martin,

Thanks for the picture. Was this stylus originally iron or bronze?

Paolo
Quote:Thanks for the replies.

I would like to make one in iron and another in bronze.

I too like the decorative ones. fwg if you have any pictures showing the iron stili with inlays, I would appreciate it.

Martin, those are beautiful. Excellent work.

Hi Doc,

since I´m 'on the road' right now, I just can give you some pictures which I sort of accidentally have on my notebook. They are not reduced in size, so that you can see some details. Because of the size I have to upload them on my website (I´ll send the password via PM in a couple of minutes as soon as the upload is finished), so please send a note when you have finished downloading them.
EDIT: upload finished and PM sent.
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
Quote:Was this stylus originally iron or bronze?

In bronze.