Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of auxillary cavalrymen
Hi

I'm writing a novel set in part in the Roman Empire army, during the Marcomannic wars. I've searched this site and found links to novaroma site and their excellent articles on tria nomina which has really helped me naming my main characters who are Roman officers.

The problem is that I really need a name for a character who is the leader of a force of about 300 cavalry that are attached to the legion. I was thinking Gaulish, but that's not integral to the plot, anywhere that supplied auxillary cavalry in the right time period will do me!

Thanks

Graham
Graham
Although from a century earlier, Bishop listed some cavalry thombstones in his 1988 paper on cavarly equipment which he put online just yesterday. You could also search the imagebase on the mainsite.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Graham. What you need is a copy of the book ALA2 by John E. H. Spaul, it is a revision and updating of the Article written by Conrad Cichorius ISBN 0 9525062 0 3
It covers The Auxiliary Cavalry Units of The Pre-Diocletianic Imperial Roman Army
The Indices is very good as it gives commanding officers, junior officers, troopers, and ex-troopers of the cavalry units very good book indeed.
Brian Stobbs
I must make a correction where the ISBN number relates to the Spaul book ALA2 and not Cichorius.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,732 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross