Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on the Legions at Teutoburg Wald
Admiral; good point given the public split over Iraq.<br>
<br>
But: no-one would doubt the resolve of the USA in spite of losing 30% of the surface fleet at Pearl Harbor. Similarly, when Rome lost 80% of its forces at Cannae, it did not surrender either. A Republic at war deals differently with setbacks than a democracy.<br>
<br>
Augustus was not too old, just too wise. Germany wasn't worth the pain and he knew it. Carthage was different as it was a natural enemy of Rome.<br>
<br>
PS: What's XIIX?? XVIII is the right spelling. <p></p><i></i>
Actually, you'll find that if you look on Marcus Caelius's tombstone 18 is spelled as XIIX.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
"A Republic at war deals differently with setbacks than a democracy."<br>
<br>
The United States is not a democracy. It is in fact a Republic. Per the CIA fact book www.cia.gov/cia/publicati...os/us.html is the USA is a "Constitution-based federal republic (with) strong democratic tradition."<br>
<br>
In the a true democracy, the mob votes directly for its leader. This is not the case in the USA, where the public votes for electors, who then, at their will vote for the president. Even here in Canada, where we have what the CIA calls a "confederation with parliamentary democracy" we do not get to vote for our leader.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks, Admiral. That was my point exactly. Had Rome been a democracy when Hannibal attacked, they would have sued for peace after Cannae. <p></p><i></i>
Greetings<br>
<br>
I would suggest an email to Major Clunn, who discovered the Varus Battlefield. He can be reached through the Savas Beatie website at www.savasbeatie.com <br>
<br>
Or, you might be able to ask him in person--read more below.<br>
<br>
I am the publisher of Major Clunn's forthcoming fully revised book "The Quest for the Lost Roman Legions: Discovering the Varus Battlefield." (Savas Beatie, March 31, 2005). In the 1980s, Major Clunn single-handedly discovered the location of this famous battle, one of the most important in Western history. The result is nearly two decades of archaeology that have changed our understanding of the battle substantially, and a wonderful museum and interpretive center at Kalkriese.<br>
<br>
"The Quest for the Lost Roman Legions" details how he found the field, and unfolds like a detective story, one clue at a time. In order to better understand what took place, he wove inside his book a parallel story that includes a remarkable series of real and fictional characters in their historical setting based upon archaeological discoveries, the topography, weather of the region, and so forth. This dual presentation paints a vivid understanding of how the Roman army lived and worked, and how it ultimately ended up in Kalkriese, where it was slaughtered nearly to a man. There is no one in the world who knows more about this battle than Major Clunn. Others have thrown together books or articles on the subject in an effort to cash in on his efforts and knowledge, but Major Clunn is the real deal (and a great guy, to boot).<br>
<br>
Although the book was delayed somewhat, it is going into bound galley now and will be at the printer within two weeks. You can see more about this at<br>
<br>
www.savasbeatie.com/bookListFall04.html (it was originally privately published in 1999, but has since sold out; this edition is fully revised, updated, and has new photos, maps, and an Introduction by Roman historian Derek Williams).<br>
<br>
Major Clunn will be visiting the USA from April 23 through May 14, and during that time will be meeting various historical groups from coast to coast to deliver talks and sign his new book. He does not want any speaking fees, and only asks for travel expenses and the ability to sell his book. This is a unique opportunity to have him address your group or combined groups/organizations, personalize your book, and answer every question you can think of about the Varus battlefield.<br>
<br>
However, he can only speak and travel so many times in three weeks! Therefore, the sooner you speak with your members and arrange a date and time, the sooner we can confirm his attendance.<br>
<br>
If you are interested in having him speak with you, please contact Sarah Stephan at [email protected] <br>
<br>
Thank you for your time and keep up the good work here on the site.<br>
<br>
Ted Savas<br>
Savas Beatie LLC<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.savasbeatie.com <br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2000 Anniversay Teutoburg Wald Waewae the Barbarian 1 1,831 08-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Roman soldiers at Teutoburg Wald Anonymous 17 4,051 09-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Arminius and the Teutoberg Wald...a few questions... Anonymous 3 1,194 11-20-2002, 09:30 AM
Last Post: