Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turtledove on Teutoburger Wald
Yes, three days is what the sources tell us, but it is only one day in Turtledove's vision.

Emil
Emil Bosman
Quote:Yes, three days is what the sources tell us, but it is only one day in Turtledove's vision.

Emil

That's silly. I haven't read the book... but if that's the case I'd have to wonder where else he was cutting corners.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Caesar defeated Vercingetorix fought a civil war and was assassinated in 12 hours......according to HBO!

A novel is not history, so why quibble over details?
Some people cannot even get history correct..... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Turledove did explain his rational for what he did with the story. He very definitley used Peter S. Wells as his primary modern source for the Battle itself. He has it happening all in one day. A couple (or more) of the incidents of the battle are pulled out of Wells' account, as well. The ancient sources seem to believe a strong reason for German frustration and rage was Roman impostion of taxes. Varus is otherwise, in this novel, portrayed as very mild mannered, not cruel or arbitrary. That follows Paterculus' characterization of him. Paterculus seems to be Turtledove's primary ancient source; he said he read the others.
I bought it, I'm glad I did. It could have been better written, but again I think haste may have been a factor. I probably used too strong a word when I said "squandered". I could see where Turtledove made use of some of the most recent scholarship on Roman life, mores, etc. How good he was with the German side of things I will have to leave to those who are more knowledgeable.
Turtledove covered three years of Roman occupation. The Three Legions by Gregory Solon, which I first read when I was 13 years old back in the mid 60's, covers a much shorter span of time - essentially the last week of August and the first 10 days of September of the year 9. Even there the battle is maybe 1/3rd of the story, the rest building the characters and the background. It follows Cassius Dio and Tacitus primarily as the anceint sources - with the battle lasting over a three day period.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae