Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warfare in the Dark Ages
This is a very expensive book running at $250 .... is it worth the dough?

"Warfare in the Dark Ages (The International Library of Essays on Military History) [ILLUSTRATED] (Hardcover)
by John France and Kelly DeVries (Author), John France (Editor), Kelly Devries (Editor)

# Hardcover: 510 pages
# Publisher: Ashgate; illustrated edition edition (March 7, 2008)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0754625575
# ISBN-13: 978-0754625575

The period covered by this book includes some exceptionally spectacular military events. The fall of the Western Roman Empire is one of the great historical mysteries whose military aspects are considered here. The rise of the Carolingian Empire was a tremendous event about which historians have disagreed, while its eventual collapse left a vacuum in the heart of Europe. Into this flowed new forces - the Vikings from outside and the great lords from within. The articles in this volume explore the way in which military developments helped to sculpt out of very strange and diverse components our familiar Europe.

About the Author
John France is Professor in the Department of History, University of Wales Swansea, UK. Kelly DeVries is Professor in the Department of History, Loyola College, USA."
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hi Conal,
I would suggest submitting an inter-library loan for that book (if available). Take a week or two to look it over and you might be able to decide whether or not it is worth the dough. This little trick has worked for me dozens of times.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Barbarians - Secrets of the Dark Ages - Richard Rudgley MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 0 2,521 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS
  Upcoming series: The Dark Ages Robert Vermaat 1 1,096 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda