Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Roman evocatio
Evocatio, the custom to pray to the gods of your enemy and ask them to join you (e.g., by promising a temple), is a Roman custom. It is also known from Hittite sources. Does anyone know of other non-Roman parallels?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I have always been fascinated by the evocatio. I think it captures very nicely the inclusive, open character of Roman civilisation.

At one point I was speculating if this had been borrowed from the Etruscans, but I have never found any evidence that this was so. Throughout different areas of the ancient Mediterranean there was the basic idea of national gods being closely affiliated (or living in) a specific place. One can even see ideas like this in the Old Testament with the Temple. So it wouldn't surprise me if other people had this general idea of "inviting" the gods of an enemy to leave an area and change sides as well.

So I don't know of any other non-Roman parallels, but I would love it if someone else can answer.

I think it would be very poetic if the Romans had borrowed this ritual from someone.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:One can even see ideas like this in the Old Testament with the Temple.

I suppose you are referring to the Maccabees, which strictly is not the (standard) Old Testament. Otherwise please give some references.
JP van de Giessen
Blog: [url:xayumokv]http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com[/url]
Quote:
Epictetus:2hofxz12 Wrote:One can even see ideas like this in the Old Testament with the Temple.
I suppose you are referring to the Maccabees, which strictly is not the (standard) Old Testament. Otherwise please give some references.
2 Kings 18: Sennacherib presents himself as the one who avenges God after Hezekiah has broken his oath. Although not an evocatio, it presumes that a deity can switch sides.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
This is interesting: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~kloppen/2004mark.pdf

Jona, if you look on page 434 (page 16 of the pdf) they have a long list of evocatio literature. I'm not familiar with any of them, unfortunately, so have no idea if they may answer your question.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I guess its loosely related to the common idea that the gods will support the right, which implies that if you act rightly the gods will start supporting you. You see that in places as widely seperated as Iron Age China (the Mandate of Heaven) and the early 20th century West. Mesopotamian rulers often hauled off their neighbours' gods- could that be related? But I think the idea there was to punish the foreign gods by taking them from their homes and worshipers, not assimilating them.

I didn't know of any Hittite parallels!
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.