Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan\'s Oldest Kabuki Actor Dies at 94
I know that many members of our Forum share an interest in things Japanese and I thought to pass this bit of news on for those who might be interested...

[size=150:1rpfpcnk]Kabuki actor Nakamura Matagoro dies at 94[/size]

TOKYO – Japan's oldest kabuki actor, known for his ability to perform a wide range of supporting roles in the centuries-old traditional art, died Saturday. He was 94.

Matagoro Nakamura died at his home in Tokyo just weeks after he attended a ceremony at Tokyo's Kabuki-za theater in January, public broadcaster NHK said.

Born Yukio Nakamura in 1913 as the son of a kabuki actor, Nakamura debuted in Japan's classical theatrical art at age eight. He has since earned acclaim for his graceful acting style and skills that allowed him to look natural in any role, from a young woman to an old man.

At age 94, he was the oldest active kabuki actor. His last main appearance on stage was in April, 2006, according to the Mainichi newspaper. He was recognized as a living national treasure in 1997.

Nakamura devoted his life to the art also through effort to nurture future kabuki actors and making performances and giving lectures overseas. - AP

I had the great good fortune to spend a year training with Matagoro sensei at the University of Hawai'i in what is still one of the best years of my theatrical life.

What I remember most clearly was the day, after class, when Russell and Elizabeth had questions about their scene together as Heimon and Okaru and the emotions involved as Heimon tells his sister Okaru about her fiance Kampei’s death.  

There were several of us there, sitting next to Matagoro in the dance studio, as he started to explain the scene.  Then he said, “Here, let me show you.” and without a moment’s hesitation he launched into the scene, acting both parts with full emotional intensity.  It was an incredible performance, unlike any I had ever seen before or since.  Here was a true artist working at the very height of his powers and his talents.  It was pure acting without relying on props, or costumes or stage setting to carry the scene but doing so entirely with his acting.  And when the scene was finished, he smiled and asked, in a calm matter-of-fact tone, “Do you understand now?”

I have seen many great performances (granted, mostly on film) by some of the world’s greatest actors, but nothing has ever equaled the sheer skill and artistry I saw that morning.

Kabuki has lost a great artist, and we from outside the kabuki world of Japan have lost a true friend who supported our quest to better understand this art form not just as scholars but more importantly as fellow artists.

The march of time was bound to bring this day, but the reality of it still hits hard.

You can catch Matagoro in the small role as the Shogun in the 1962 Inagaki film "Chushingura."

Thank you my friends for indulging me.

Sad

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ray Harryhausen dies at the age of 92 Simplex 2 895 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Kabuki in London -- The Gempei Wars Narukami 0 683 03-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Narukami
  Actor playing Brutus stabs himself cacrispvs 11 2,661 09-03-2007, 09:36 AM