Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Roman cavalry choirs are singing"
In Coldpay's song 'Viva la vida' they have a line: "Roman cavalry choirs are singing".

Now I know that Coldplay sometimes uses nonsense lyrics (like in 'Yellow') but I'm still curious if anybody know whether this refers to something Roman. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I always wondered if there was more meaning in that line as well. Coldplay does tend to put a lot of random stuff in their songs but a lot of the time theres deeper meaning to it (I remember reading an interview with the main singer once where he talked about the meaning behind 'clocks' and there was a lot fo stuff I didnt get in it)

I think that more than likely it has to do with the general theme of the song being about a revolution that perhaps turned bad, but that could be just me. I've heard some say theres a lot of biblical imagry in the song, so it may just be that. Their new album (and the EP) has a lot of commentary on modern politics in it as well, so it could be them putting something modern into an ancient context to make a point.

Heres the full lyrics to show what I mean

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing,
"Now the old king is dead, long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you'd go there was never,
never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh, who would ever wanna be king

I hear Jerusalem bells were ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs were singing
My missionaries in a foreign field
I know St. Peter won't call my name
Never honest were
But that was when I ruled the world
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]
Big Grin It caught my ear as well. I wondered if it had started out in the brain as 'Roman Catholic Choir' before colliding with 'Christian Soldiers' or 'Salvation Army', fitting the theme of the fallen king and the revolution, just as 'missionaries' - religious - serve in 'a foreign field' - military (quoting Rupert Brooke).

Incidently, are those the official lyrics? - I also wondered if it's not 'Roman Calvary Choir'. There are a number of 'Calvary' churches and choirs of the same name. I think I prefer the first explanation Big Grin .
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Those lyrics were off of song meanings, since the Coldplay site is a bear to navigate (at least to me, I really dont like overly complex sites). There are the lyrics in question off of the official Coldplay site-

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman cavalry choirs are singing
Missionaries in a foreign field
Once you'd gone there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world

Theres a couple of subtile differences, but not much, and nothing in the Roman Cavalry Choirs, unfortunately.
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]
gratias tibi ago, Michelle

It's nice to know for sure - Times have changed - I remember buying Smash Hits just because they printed the lyrics to random pop songs!

Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
i only recently heard this song :oops: i know i'm behind the times! i would hear it on the radio in the car and never could hear exactly what he was saying. i mean i THOUGHT i heard him say Roman Cavalry Choir.... but its hard to hear the radio with the windows down... i thought it was just another love song about someone suddenly realising he was in love...
it wasnt until two weeks ago that i saw the video on youtube, then looked up the lyrics and i have to say i'm very confused!
i like the song - in SPITE of the controversy.. but what can i say? i like songs that tell stories!
Hi

I am new to this forum, and I actually stumbled upon it quite by accident.

My two cents worth is that the particular verse relates to the medieval Crusades, which was intended to 'liberate' Jerusalem from Saracen rule and place it under the protection of the Roman Catholic Church. It fits with the overall theme of revolution, as the Pope (and others) tried to overthrow the Jerusalem government. I also get a sense of futility from the lyrics in general. This also fits, as the Crusades were hardly ever successful, and never managed to place Jerusalem under Papal rule for very long. Lastly, during the middle ages the Pope ruled the whole of Christendom, and had very significant influence in all the European courts - which refers to 'when I ruled the world'.

Could be that I am completely over-analyzing what is actually just a song.

Any way, comments will be welcome.
Maybe it was just used to fit the metre. The rest doesn't look all that scholarly.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Guys, it might as well be calvary in stead of cavalry....

I personally think they mean Golgotha on which choirs sing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Maybe, but . . . it still doesn't make sense.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Yup, you are right, listened to the song again and again and its indeed Cavalry Choirs.......

weird song, even weirder text, however many of their songs are weird.......

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.