Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sagum, Paenula, Abolla, Pauldamentum, arrrgh!
Thanks for all the help and input guys!

I've finally got some time to start making one of these, and I think I've figured out all the stuff. I'm aiming for a Sagum. Materials and such are to be determined by what's available at the local fabric stores, as I don't have a overwhelming desire for super-historical accuracy.

I took a look at some of the dimensions listed in Roman Military Clothing 1 (a great book by the way). I'm probably shortening said dimensions by a fair amount, probably down to 2 meters or so. I've been testing out with other fabric, and anything longer touches the floor on me.

I'm still slightly puzzled on where to pin the cloak though. Right now I'm assuming that you can flip between shoulder and center and you'll be ok. My dilemma is this: I've seen cloaks labeled as sagum pinned in the middle, and the aforementioned book mostly depicts sagums pinned at the shoulder or at least off center. Any one answer, or am I right in assuming that either goes?

Thanks for the assistance and the neat forum to discuss all this in.
Harris Hoffman

Messages In This Thread
Re: Sagum, Paenula, Abolla, Pauldamentum, arrrgh! - by harris5 - 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM