Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sagum, Paenula, Abolla, Pauldamentum, arrrgh!
From what I understand, the sagum was made of wool and would have been a heavier wool since it doubled as a sleeping blanket of sorts. However, the heavier wool could be an indication of its use in colder climates. The legionary would simply wrap his body in it. Of the saga found, the dimensions were quite large.

In warmer climates, one could argue that the saga were a lighter wool but wool none the less.

One other feature of the sagum is that since it is wool and wool contains natural oils, it could have protected the legionary not only from the cold but also from the elements (rain, snow etc). If worn over the armor it would have protected that too.

I believe that the sagum is also pinned over the right shoulder not necessarily both.

NO Paludamenta have been found thus color and apprearence are up to you although I seem to recall in the Military Clothing Volume 1 some reference pointing to a red paludamentum???

In any case, as you mentioned, the paludamentum is seen being worn by the officers and the emperor himself. Here one could argue that it was made of a very fine wool or even a fine linen. It did not really lend to any military functionality only status. Therefore, one could imagine that it had to be very fine material that could be draped in such a manner to have many folds and evoke sophistication.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Sagum, Paenula, Abolla, Pauldamentum, arrrgh! - by Doc - 02-19-2009, 04:14 AM