Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid
Sorry - I should have made my reply clearer. What I meant was that on the specimens we have in the museum at Caerleon, the median lines on the scales are invisible from any distance - although they are there and you can clearly see them when you get to within a foot or two.

We did some experiments along the lines that Martijn mentioned. We used a mail (reproduction) suit we have and tried adding the scales to that to see what the effect would be. Martijn is right, if the scales are attached tightly, there is very little movement possible. However, if the attachment wires are somewhat longer, then there is considerable movement of the scales when the suit is moved around. So, you pays yer money, etc.

Again, to be absolutely clear - in my earlier post a referred to the holes as being in threes meaning (as I think Martijn said) that I meant three pairs of holes, one pair each side and the third pair at the top.
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid - by Doc - 02-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Re: Lorica Plumata Article by Erik Schmid - by Caratacus - 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Known specimens of lorica plumata martijn.wijnhoven 20 9,372 11-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: martijn.wijnhoven
  What does a Lorica laminata weigh? Question on the Plumata Steakslim 6 4,674 12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Any evidence for a Lorica Plumata Manica? jkaler48 3 1,860 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Last Post: jkaler48