Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
glueing horsehair to iron
Unfortunately the people who would do the decoration haven't completed it, as there were some more difficulties (also to do with bad communication as English isn't the native language of both parties). So, last week the helmet arrived here and I'm now in the search for someone who can help me with the decorations (as my hands don't allow me to do it completely on my own, because of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)). Anyway, I hope to start the work soon and it should be ready on the next Roman festival in Nijmegen (26/27 June 2010).

As soon as I've something more to show, I'm sure some pictures will be here on RAT.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you for the update and looking forward to future info.

Cheers,

Martijn
Just received my new squamata (as there were also scales found on the Kops Plateau near this helmet), so here's the start of my new impression (Batavian cavalrymen). As I was off to England I didn't have any progress on the helmet, yet.

[Image: DSC07886.jpg]

[Image: DSC07883.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Jurjen,

I just finishing the book Achter het zilveren masker/Hinter der silbernen Maske (2007: edited by Ronny Meijers & Frank Willer) which made me very curious how you are advancing with your re-constructional trials presented in this topic.

Regards,

Martijn

The book is available in APX Xanten and the helmet with glued hair is shown in the museum at the moment, maybe you get in contact there?..
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Jurjen,

Great looking impression! `
(I should rather say that it looks absolutely terror-striking.)

Cheers,

Martijn
Quote:
martijn.wijnhoven:1privbid Wrote:Jurjen,

I just finishing the book Achter het zilveren masker/Hinter der silbernen Maske (2007: edited by Ronny Meijers & Frank Willer) which made me very curious how you are advancing with your re-constructional trials presented in this topic.

Regards,

Martijn

The book is available in APX Xanten and the helmet with glued hair is shown in the museum at the moment, maybe you get in contact there?..

Hi Sascha,

Do you've a picture of that helmet? As I want to know if it actually is a version based on the newest research or and old version as the one in the Valkhof museum, Nijmegen.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes I have some pictures, but behind the glass.
I took a look at home and will send it to you.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Hi Sasha,

Many thanks in advance. Unfortunatelly I still didn't had any time to visit the new museum.
I send you me emailaddress by PM.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:How about using a bitamin based glue? Remember the "Roman Super Glue"? That was primarily Bitamin if I'm remembering correctly.

Birch bark resin boiled down to a tar rather than bitumin I think. Sticks anything to anything and, unlike other tree resins, it doesn't go brittle.

It's what The Iceman's arrowheads were glued on with and it was widely used in antiquity to stick/repair all manner of stuff.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feathered crest - problem with glueing M. Val. Naso 5 1,676 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt