Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmets of the IIIrd century AD
Hi all,<br>
<br>
I'v got a question about IIIrd century helmets. Both "Roman Infantry equipment: The later empire" by Stephenson and "Imperial Roman Legionary" from Osprey do not fully deal with infantry helmet types of the period. Does anybody knows other types than these (maybe websites with pictures of them)?<br>
<br>
Imperial Italic H (from Niedermormter and Buch)<br>
Buch<br>
Von Gravert<br>
Niderbieber<br>
Heddernheim<br>
<br>
I'm looking for books dealing with this subject and I'm considering Sumner's "Roman Army: Wars of the Empire". Is this a good joice?<br>
Thanks for any help,<br>
Ivlivs<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave Ivlivs.<br>
<br>
I know what you mean. I've never seen pictures or drawings of any helmets made in the first half of the third century. There just seems to be this huge gap in our knowledge regarding armor between the 2nd and 4th centuries.<br>
<br>
I have a book titled "The Late Roman Army" by Southern and Dixon but it doesn't shed any light on early third century helmets, although I consider it to be an excellent reference book complete with detailed drawings and pictures. It addresses belt fittings and baldrics used in the early third century but it only discusses armor from the very late 3rd century and onward.<br>
<br>
The book you mention will be of even less help regarding the period concerned in your question.<br>
<br>
-Theo<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=theodosiusthegreat>Theodosius the Great</A> at: 12/27/04 8:24 am<br></i>
Jaime
Excavations at Dura-Europos have revealed fragments of Roman helmets which look very much like Auxiliary E's or F's (to follow the Robinson categories). The Dura excavations thus suggest that these helmet types were still in use in the 250ies AD.<br>
<br>
James, Simon, The Excavations at Dura-Europos 1928-1937. Final report VII: The arms and armour and other military equipment, London 2004, p. 104-107.<br>
<br>
esp. p. 101: "Particularly striking is the precision with which these helmets may be matched to helmets from Europe, notably those from Heddernheim, Amerongen and Kalkar-Hoenepel, not only in their general agreement but also the fine details of their construction and even in degrees of curvature (see catalogue). This evidence, limited though it is, suggests that the helmets of the Durene garrison at the time of the siege were indistinguishable from those to be seen in contemporary Western forts."<br>
<br>
<br>
Hope that helps <p></p><i></i>
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Hi Ivlivs,<br>
<br>
As well as the Dura book, the new "Roman Military Equipment" by Bishop and Coulston is also a must when it comes out. Or alternatively you could try and find a second hand copy of the old version. I bought mine for £12 last year in a bookshop in Stirling.<br>
<br>
Another book I quite like is the Osprey book “The Legions of the Northâ€ÂÂ

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Use of hair on fourth-century helmets Jona Lendering 8 2,445 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Caballo
  Climate change in the IIIrd C.AD Anonymous 9 3,254 04-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Gregg