Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010
Hi,

In response to my post on the Osprey forum....

With the 2,000 annniversary in 2009 of Varus leading three Roman legions in the German forest- and with the newspaper articles, reenactor events at Kalkriese, and general coverage- how about an Osprey covering the Teutoberger Wood disaster? Could be a big seller..... Cheers Paul

Came this...sounds good!

Hi Paul, I am happy to be able to tell you that we planning to publish a book on Teutoberg Forest in our campaign series, due for release in late 2010. It is set to be fantastic book, with a number of photos and brilliant Osprey artwork.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I like the idea that it appears one year too late. It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In what way?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:In what way?
Creation of the limes. Oldest dates of a watchtower (which I think is really indicative for the change of offensive to defensive strategy) are now 41 dendro (Utrecht-De Meern).

For the wider context (that Claudius reformed the army), see Chri Thomas, "Claudius and the Roman Army Reforms" in: Historia. Zeitschrift für alte Geschichte 53 (2004) 424-452.
Jona Lendering
My website
Ahh, thanks. Of course, that sounds logical.
Of course, not my favourite moment in Roman history, but can't argue with the logic!

And thanks for that reference, I will look it up.

Pity Osprey are not going to have it out sooner, it will make a good addition to info on the event..
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.
Somehow, I doubt that. Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote: Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...

You mean that you're not looking forward to the latest Nic Fields? ;-) )

R
Quote:
Quote:It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.
Somehow, I doubt that. Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...
Yep, that's why I wrote "as if", because being one year too late sounds like a marketing mistake.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:3vk6xp7k Wrote:
Yep, that's why I wrote "as if", because being one year too late sounds like a marketing mistake.

:lol: Yet, you like the idea.....? :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
....they are (still ?) waitin' for the REAL battleground to be revealed by then ? :roll: :wink:

Simplex

Just kiddin' - don't wanna spoil the party.
Siggi K.
Just make sure you get the AW Teutoburger Special issue. It's going to be quite awesome I think...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Why? Did something happen there? Special, that is? :| ?: :?:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best \'Teutoburg Forest\', Varian disaster book mike_espo 3 1,672 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  New Osprey Book about Centurions Narukami 11 4,346 03-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  New Osprey \'Battle Orders\' book Carus Andiae 0 981 03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Carus Andiae