Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Barracks
Hi Brian - was one of these a private bath suite in the commandants house? I wonder if you could clear up a Barracks Anomaly of a different kind for me- I notice that Chesters fort barracks have only 9 separate rooms, instead of the usual 10. Is this because it is a cavalry fort, and their unit organisation was slightly different from the norm?
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
I think the point you raised about the barracks may just be that in the 19th century John Clayton never got around to excavating the last room on the end of the block.
The other situation about the three bath houses is exactly that 3 Legionary Bathhouses all outside of the fort and all of them not too far from the river, infact one of them is north of Hadrians' Wall. The one we see today is the very famous one that appears in many history books and is a Severan building, it was built in the early 3rd century however there is a very interesting aspect to it. It is built ontop of a Hadrianic Grannery therefore there cannot be a Hadrianic one under it so we have to ask where is that one. The idea of a grannery outside of a fort on Hadrians' Wall is indeed an interesting subject that I'm very sure many would wish to discuss with me

It is not speculation about another bathouse north of the wall believe me it does exist for I have been inside of it many years ago, it is less than 100yards north of Hadrians' Wall and not too far from the river. I can only assume where the original Hadrianic one is and I think it is higher up above the Severan one we see today.
Brian Stobbs
That is a lovely bit of building.

What did you use for the roof, please?
Simon

Simon M. aka BigRedBat
Many thanks to all positive comments from members.

Simon,I make the roofs out of corrugated card , horizontally scored to get the tiling effect. This is further enhanced by painting the troughs a darker shade of terracotta than the rises, and picked out in light grey to represent leaching out of various minerals, and bird droppings. I am, in fact, none to pleased with this technique - it is adequate, but not perfect as it is not an exact representation of the types of tiles unerthed from the sites I model. Oddly enough, I have not got round to resin casting yet, but maybe making a more accurate redition of Roman tiling and casting roofs in this material would be the way to go.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Congratulations on the beautiful model!

With respect to the very interesting discussion of later chalet style barracks you may be aware of the following article:

Auxiliary Barracks in a New Light: Recent Discoveries on Hadrian's Wall
Author(s): N. Hodgson and P. T. Bidwell
Source: Britannia, Vol. 35 (2004), pp. 121-157

Hodgson and Bidwell claim that the chalet style barracks were not as irregular as is commonly assumed and in some cases were not even chalets but rather barrack blocks with internal side passages. Also, they conclude that this change in construction has nothing to do with civilians entering the forts because when it first occurs, the vici/canabae were still functional. They claim that the change to truly irregular arrangements within the forts was much later, around 370 AD. I am not an expert but the article is very interesting.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Neil. When I'm out metal detecting I find bits of pot shards and now and then what I take to be pieces of Roman roof tile, these give the impression that the tiles were square with a right angle bend on one edge. I get the impression that rooves may have had horizontaly spaced lats where these tiles would be layed on at their right angle bend, pinned of course and then the roof built up from the bottom to the ridge would I be correct in this kind of assumption. Infact some of these pieces I find show that the red brick types were about an inch in thickness very sturdy realy.
Brian Stobbs
Great modelling and a very interesting thread!
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]
I really like your "style" in terms of the way you model these structures. You should post a sequence of photos from begiing to end of how you construct these buildings. I for one would love to see how you do it!
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Quote:I really like your "style" in terms of the way you model these structures. You should post a sequence of photos from begiing to end of how you construct these buildings. I for one would love to see how you do it!
I have discussed this with one of our site administrators. I already have many photos - it would have to be in the form of a large - ish article, rather than a standard post, so watch this space. In fact, I am at present considering approaching Osprey or some other publisher with a view to writing a book on modelling Roman buildings. This is still in the embryonic stage - in other words, in my head!

R. Neil Harrison