Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Barracks
Here is a model of a Roman barrack block, based on the dimensions and plans of those at Chesters, on Hadrian's Wall. It belongs to the Imperial period, i.e. first through to late third century. I am currently making another model, of the same barrack building in its late Roman phase, when the construction was very different.

[Image: 117cmcx.jpg]
[Image: 2zdx3km.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Hi Neil
It'd be cool if you could take some photos during construction, so other budding artists can see how you do it.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I would be glad to do this, Jasper. Problem is it is quite a lengthy process, would need several pics and would be in the form of an article rather than a casual post. Would this be ok?
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
Quote:Here is a model of a Roman barrack block, based on the dimensions and plans of those at Chesters, on Hadrian's Wall. It belongs to the Imperial period, i.e. first through to late third century. I am currently making another model, of the same barrack building in its late Roman phase, when the construction was very different.

Hi Neil,
When you have time could you share the what the main construction differences were as its a subject that I don't know enough about. I would like to learn more about, having slept in the barracks at Arbeia.When questioned in the past by the public all I could do was point to the guides and information boards!!!I can tell they look different, but as to how they were built,dates/cutoff points I bow my head in shame :oops:

Any advise on reading matter on the subject?
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Quote:Would this be ok?
Sure!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Very nice work!
Wonderful indeed. I really love your work, it's very nice.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Hi Neil,
When you have time could you share the what the main construction differences were as its a subject that I don't know enough about. I would like to learn more about, having slept in the barracks at Arbeia.When questioned in the past by the public all I could do was point to the guides and information boards!!!I can tell they look different, but as to how they were built,dates/cutoff points I bow my head in shame :oops:
Any advise on reading matter on the subject?

John; it seems that barracks in the late third century were often rebuilt to accommodate the families of soldiers, as they appear to be more chaotic and less formal in appearance - more like irregular terraced houses, rather than the neat lines we all know and love. Here is a couple of plans of the same barrack block at Housesteads, with the Hadrianic/Severan one below, and the rebuilt 3rd/4th century building above:
[Image: nxmlav.jpg]

These new type barracks, known generally as 'chalet' barracks, use the old walls of the contuburnia rooms as walls for seperate, free standing buildings. Some of the internal walls are demolished entirely to create a bigger living space, whilst new internal walls are added. This change in appearance and function would indicate a drop in the effective garrison from 960 to about 300. Late Roman limitanae units were apparantly 300 strong.

This link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housesteads-Garrison-Hadrians-Revealing-History/dp/075242890X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234271511&sr=8-2
has a good illustration of the late period barracks. Many of the forts at Hadrian's Wall underwent this change, and even new forts such as High Rochester, whilst keeping to the old style playing-card shape, had the new type barracks, a row of disorderly chalets.

R. Neil Harrison
Please correct me if I'm wrong but its more the floor plan rather the construction itself that changes in the later period to fit with new use?
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

It seems to be the construction as well.If you imagine a row of terraced houses, built irregularly with the gables facing you; some of them larger than others, some single storey and others two or even three floors, which would look very different indeed to the straight rows of single storey barracks. In addition, the fronts appear to be timber in onstruction; gone are the collonaded verandahs of earler times.This second example, from Great Chesters, illustrates the idea more clearly, and even the ground plan has been radically altered.
[Image: 214twkp.jpg]

Also, it appears that by the 4th century additional buildings are being placed against the rampart wall itself, further distorting the original principate period fort plan.

R. Neil Harrison
You've really got my interest going on this Neil,sorry for taking up so much of your time Smile

So is it a case of using all the available space for the increased civilians within a fort that is pushing buildings to the inner walls?

Do will know why the administration let organised building seem to slip?Any texts complaining from the period?

Was it a case of too much trouble to stop it or there were more important things to do?
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

Does anyone know if the pattern Neil is demonstrating is a trend in Britannia or Empire wide in the 4thC?
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

Quote:You've really got my interest going on this Neil,sorry for taking up so much of your time Smile

So is it a case of using all the available space for the increased civilians within a fort that is pushing buildings to the inner walls?

Do will know why the administration let organised building seem to slip?Any texts complaining from the period?

Was it a case of too much trouble to stop it or there were more important things to do?

No problem, John - in fact, you have galvanised me into action and I am starting work on a fourth century reconstruction of the same barrack block as we speak! I will attempt to answer your questions - but remember, I am not an expert, just someone who has read a few books, and doesn't get out much!

1) I believe this to be the case - reduction in Limitanae garrison to units of about 300, in tandem with less secure times, probably encouraged a policy of moving the vicus inside the fort, and restructuring the buildings for slightly more comfort, and family life. That said, Vicus buildings continue to be occupied at the same time.
2) By this time the army had (arguably!) become slightly less regular in nature, and maybe this occured in every aspect of military life. Also, by this time the soldiers and civil settlements of the Wall probably regarded themselves as a single community.
3) Probably more important things to do - and in any case, the rebuilding seemed to suit the new purposeof the forts as fortified villages rather than garrison forts maintained by the State.
[Image: 32zni34.jpg]
Here is another late period barrack building, again from housesteads.* It is easy to see this building as a shadow of its former self, a grotesque parody which looks slightly disturbing when you compare it to the second century predecessor. It seems that things were really in decline... However, you cannot make all these assumptions from a groundplan alone; lets see how the model develops. The building might actually look quite cosy and nice!

*All plans on this topic are reproduced from David Breeze's revised addition of 'Handbook to the Roman Wall' by J. Collingwood Bruce.

R. Neil Harrison
Cheers for that Neil.Its all food for thought.I've a new avenue of research now Big Grin

I look forward to seeing the model when its done.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

I have to say that having worked at Chesters and Housteads as a Custodian I can follow what Neil is saying, however being very familiar with the barrack blocks at Chesters there appears to be no alteration of those blocks from their earlier period. That's got me thinking a bit for I have written a paper on Chesters already and having worked there I am aware that this fort has THREE Bath houses.
Brian Stobbs