Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fires in Australia
It is deep regret that I hear of the loss of life and see the devastation that the fires in Australia have caused. I have visited Australia and found the Australians to to be a good, and hospitable people, for whom I have high reguard and respect. In 1970 the Australian Army occupied the immediate right flank to my Brigade. Everyone was proud to have them there. I take the recent loss of life and sorrow the fires have caused in a personal way.

Ralph Izard
One news report this morning said over 180 souls lost. An appalling stat. Sorry to hear about it, too. There are some Aussies on this board. Please keep us posted, mates!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
These fires are always terrible, especially in light of what is being said in the news as to their cause. A terrible waste.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
All of Australia is deeply affected. Sadly, the death toll is likely to rise, with the Army and the Police still to search over 750 burnt out homes. Whole towns are just gone....and the fires continue......

Here in Queensland we have different problems.....floods! Over a million square kilometres are flooded. The Queensland outback is a vast inland sea. Towns and farms cut off, only supplied by air. People on their way from A to B stranded and trapped for weeks on end.....some northern Queensland towns had over 1,000 mm ( 40 inches) of rain in 48 hours.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The death toll is now around 200 and expected to rise....over a million acres (404865 Hectares) are now totally destroyed....24 fires still burn out of control with winds of 50-75 km per hour (31-48 MPH ) expected today.Fire fronts can and do move at these speeds. Several towns put on alert for 'heavy ember attack'. A survivor described a 'heavy ember attack' as like being in a hailstorm made of fire.

If one wonders at why so many died, you must imagine 'Firestorms' heavier than those of WW II - walls of fire hundreds of feet high at intensely hot temperatures, fanned by winds artificially enhanced by convection currents, and moving at 80 km per hour (50 MPH), jumping roads, rivers etc.....absolutely unstoppable by anything human......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
It's on the news here all the time. Horrible! I hope all RATers and their loved ones are safe abd that they catch the idiots who - it was reported anyway - set some of those fires ( Confusedhock: :? )!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
The autorities have now arrested one individual in relation to arson. Why anyone would want to light a fire on a 46 degree c day is beyond all our understanding. A big thanks to all the Kiwi and US firefighters helping us at the moment. This has now become our worst natural disaster. Thankfully all my friends are safe but there are so many shattered lives . An estimated 1 milllion native animals have perished, no one knows how many domestic animals at this stage. The CFA volunteers have done an amazing job fighting this horror. Despite their efforts whole towns have been wiped of the map.
Keith Hendry
Terra Australis.
It is a real mess. I saw a picture of a town where all the houses had burnt down, but the trees around them were still green. That is bewildering ! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:This has now become our worst natural disaster
Arson isn't really a "natural" disaster. It's a crime, and the perpetrator(s) must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If convicted, he/they should receive whatever the maximum sentence Australia allows.

If it were up to me, I'd say burning him alive would not be out of the question, but of course, it isn't, so he should be glad I'm not King. Whatever the motive was needs to be found out and made public.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm sure most of you have already seen the clip with coala bear Sam, but it's a little sign of hope amidst all this horrible news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkI8c9eALQ
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fires in Southern California! Hibernicus 31 4,925 10-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  October California fires M. Demetrius 5 1,406 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Narukami