Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Online Theses
Salvete,

I just stumbled upon

[url:1h985grs]http://ethos.bl.uk[/url] - The Electronic Theses Online Service

They provide a lot British theses for free download. It appears that most are not yet digitized. You can still order them. I have placed an order but I have no idea how long that will take to be processed.

Still, there are a few gems to find.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Wow! Great! Thank you very much for this link, Jens! Big Grin

Greetings
Alexandr
Thank you for this site ! :wink:
This will certainly come in handy. I suspect that there will be many more resources here than in its American counterpart. Thanks for the link.
Iosephus Augustus/
Joseph Augustus Clark
Very useful post. Laudes for you!
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
I am now starting to receive the first theses digitized to my order COMPLETELY FOR FREE!

This is really a great service. Below is a list of theses I have ordered. About 30% are already available, the remainder will hopefully follow soon:

Southern British decorated bronzes of the late pre-Roman Iron Age.

Barbarous radiates : A study of the irregular Roman coinage of the 270's and 280's AD from Southern England.

The arms and armour from Dura-Europos, Syria : weaponry recovered from the Roman garrison town and the Sassanid siegeworks during the excavations, 1922-37.
  • Late Roman precious metal deposits, c. AD200-700 : changes over time and space.

Regionality in the late Roman west through the study of crossbow brooches, bracelets, beads and belt sets.

Loyalty and dissidence in Roman Egypt : the case of the Acta Alexandrinorum.

Late Roman Britain in transition, A.D. 300-500 : a ceramic perspective from East Yorkshire.

The Effectiveness of Greek Armour Against Arrows in the Persian War (490-479 B.C.) : An Interdisciplinary Enquiry.

The Roman art of war : a study of the Roman military writers.

Roman temporary camps in Britain.

'Military' and 'civilian' in late Roman Britain : an archaeology of social identity

Aspects of Roman siegecraft

Settlement patterns and military organisation in the region of Udhruh (Southern Jordan) in the Roman and Byzantine periods

Decline, Collapse, or Transformation? Hadrian's Wall in the 4th- 5th Centuries AD

The Roman army in Egypt, 31 B.C. to A.D. 212

The Piercebridge formula in the north-east of England : an assessment and alternative method of supply to the Roman army.

Soldiers and tribesman : the Roman Army and tribal society in late imperial Africa.

The military limes : aspects of the comparative development, function and significance of the linear frontier systems of the Roman Empire up to AD 200.

Unit sizes in the Late Roman army.

Medical care for the Roman army on the Rhine, Danube and British frontiers in the first, second and early third centuries A.D.

Trajan's Column : the sculpting and relief content of a Roman propaganda monument.

The construction of the Roman legionary fortress at Inchtuthil.

Aspects of the Severan field army : the Praetorian Guard, legio II Parthica and legionary vexillations, AD 193-238

The auxilia of the Roman Army raised in the Iberian Peninsula.

The evolution of the Roman army during the third century AD.

The Roman camps at Numantia : a reappraisal in the light of a critical analysis of Polybius' discourse on the Roman army.

The bronze Italian helmet : the development of the Cassis from the last quarter of the sixth century B.C. to the third quarter of the first century A.D.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:... Below is a list of theses I have ordered ...

Aspects of Roman siegecraft

Aspects of the Severan field army : the Praetorian Guard, legio II Parthica and legionary vexillations, AD 193-238
Hmmm ... I see my own PhD thesis, and that of fellow RAT contributor Dr Ross Cowan, are on the list. I hope you enjoy them! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
My apologies for being tardy in responding, I was busy reading. In fact both were among the first theses I read and I found both a quite riveting read.

I have now received notice that about 2/3 of the theses I ordered (see my earlier post) are available. On of the theses now avaiable online which I find particularly useful is

Paddock, John Miles, The bronze Italian helmet,

with nearly 200 line drawings of Montefortino, Coolus and Hagenau helmets and catalogues of find circumstances, measurements etc. it povides a wealth of information on these helmet types.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thank you so much for posting that link, Jens. This is great. Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have downloaded a couple of these, only to find I can't open them - I have 'Windows Vista' - if I try to open them I get:
"Windows can't open folder....the compressed(zipped) folder is invalid"

If I try to 'extract all' I get:
"Extract compressed folders.....folder is empty" - but it clearly is not?

Can anybody help, please? Sad ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I only had such a problem once and then I tried again next day (when I got the email the order was processed) and then it worked fine, but overall I had this only once by the 6 theses I ordered so far.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I have downloaded a couple of these, only to find I can't open them
Seemingly you need to have Adobe Acrobat 8.0 (or 9.0) installed and running before you download. Then Acrobat Reader will open the zip files.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I tried Jurjen's solution, which seemed to work....evidently you can only successfully download once they send you an e-mail that the order has been 'processed'.........I found I couldn't open with Adobe 9 - but "Word" worked fine! .....probably depends on what format the thesis is in?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius journal online project. Free pdf download. Recent Thersites 23 9,551 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Thersites
  Free Online Library Astiryu1 1 1,045 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Last Post: elagababbalus
  Obtaining UCL PhD theses Dan Diffendale 6 1,787 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan