Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Spartacus organize his gladiators\' army?
When Spartacus revolted with his fellow partners the gladiators of Capua, he had about 10 000 fugitives before there were added more than half a million men to his so called "army". They were slaves, men who had never pick up a sword, while, on the other hand, there were the best fighters of Italy, the gladiators. How did Spartacus organized his army? I heard that he organized his men into cohorts like a true roman army, but how did he put bloody gladiators to such "civilized" army?
Marcus Manlius Varro, born in the Province of Lusitannia
(Antonio Araujo)
Quote:I heard that he organized his men into cohorts like a true roman army, but how did he put bloody gladiators to such "civilized" army?

Did you read the novel by an Italian author, Giovanni Magnoli or something like that, dating from the 19th century? I just read this book in a German translation. Because in this novel it is discribed that Spartacus had organized his gladiators and slaves like a Roman "army". In contrary to this novel it was only about 70 gladiators who escaped from the ludus of the lanista Lentulus Batiatus but the gladiators had the functions of officers in Spartacus' "army".
I disagree. 70 men escaped from Capua, but more than 100,000 men - not only gladiators, but the entire slave body of Italy - joined Spartacus' army, who began to be as popular as Pompey or Caesar's armies were and would be.
Marcus Manlius Varro, born in the Province of Lusitannia
(Antonio Araujo)
Quote:I disagree. 70 men escaped from Capua, but more than 100,000 men - not only gladiators, but the entire slave body of Italy - joined Spartacus' army, who began to be as popular as Pompey or Caesar's armies were and would be.

That's exactly what I said, 70 gladiators escaped from the ludus of Lentulus Batiatus which was located in Capua. So you do not disagree but agree with me :lol: About the others I did not say anything, but it's a fact that those 100,000 men were mainly slaves and only these very few were gladiators. I just tried to answer your first question about the organization of the slave "army" and said that the way you posed your question reminded me of the novel I just read.