Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver and Golden Eagles
Salve<br>
<br>
The long-term plan for me is to have both an Imperial impression and a Late Republican/Marius Reformed impression.<br>
<br>
From what I remember knowing, Marius introduced the Silver Eagle/Aquila standard as the official Legion standard. What is the history on this, if any, and how long was the Silver eagle in use when the better known Golden Eagle/Aquila was introduced? (Was that Augustus?)<br>
<br>
And I can't remember, have any remains of Aquilae ever been found? Or just bits and pieces?<br>
<br>
Thanks! <p></p><i></i>
Its a shame but the Eale of the Ninth has never been found!!<br>
Nor any other. It would make a good novel shades of da Vinci. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Of course that is because they've been looking for th Eagle of the Ninth in the wrong side of Europe.<br>
But you're right, none has ever been found, but there are images aplenty. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
as i suspected. I thought I did hear/read/see of some instance that bits and pieces were found (I think it might have instead been the pole, which could have been anything, Vex, Imagio, Signa...)<br>
<br>
Sad.<br>
<br>
I do know of some dipictions on coins and tombstones and whatnot. Thankfully there's something showing them.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the input.<br>
<br>
Any thoughts of when the Silver was in use or the Golden though? <p>Titus Vulpius Dominicus ~ Your Friendly Neighborhood Roman Dude.<br>
<br>
Svaviter in Modo, Fortiter in Re (Soft in Manner, Strong in Deed)<br>
<br>
www.higgins.org <br>
www.higginssword.org </p><i></i>