Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery Commands?
Quote:I really wonder how anyone can know what 1st Century Latin sounded like.

Like much of what re-enactors deal with, I don't think we can know for certain, but there is a surprising amount of evidence which can help us make strong educated guesses, to the point of being able to differentiate between the Latin of the orator and the soldier: comparison of spellings written for everyday purposes, words used in and incorporated into other languages helps a great deal, as do puns, jokes and alliteration etc in literature.

Ecclesiastical Latin reflects some aspects of modern Italian pronunciation. Most useful for us Late Romans are the commentaries on pronunciation at the time, including complaints about sloppy students and guides to improve their spelling. As Cicero said: semper idem - Always the same thing! :lol:
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
I'm glad I know how to pronounce it now, though it sure is a strange way to speak for me.
We should have a Latin forum on here. People type as much Latin as they know, then a translation of the words if they are nice for those of us who dont know Latin to learn some.

It was mentioned above that everyone thinks Romans had english accents. That is mostly the idea of english speaking movie makers. If a movie on Romans was done in the US, and in the english language, we would want British actors to play the parts. This is because British is an old way of speaking in the American mind. We know our accents are new. Technically British accents are also far from Roman times, but are still older than that of the US. Basically, summed up, British sounds old fashioned.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
I would think it was pronounced in the way the Greeks pronounced

'Plataea' Plat-ay-ee-uh....different pronounciation was often assigned to a sequence of letters, and still is, come to think of it.

Glad-ee-ee is a bit to hard to handle.

Brutee-eye was hard enough to accommodate in my western head! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It was your namesake that started it, GJC.
Brutus: Ave, Caesar, here, hold my pugio.
Caesar: Et tu, Brute..YIGH!
(dont' kill me)
We've strayed a long way from archery commands. It is certain, though, that they didn't say,
"Lock and Load"
"Ready, aim, fire!"

"Loose" or "send" would be more likely. Shoot, maybe, I don't know how far back that phrase goes.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I wonder can anyone remember just how it went in the opening scene of Gladiator, when the fire arrows were sent over.??
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I wonder can anyone remember just how it went in the opening scene of Gladiator, when the fire arrows were sent over.??

Yes, the Romans won! :mrgreen: (but only with the assistance of Shep the dog!)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Shep the wardog! And some most interesting RTW flaming oil fireballs from ballistae. It's a wonder they didn't burn the darned whole forest down with those things.

It's a good thing the Romans won that final, decisive battle against the Germanic tribes, and so subjugated all the lands north of the Rhine, isn't it? Otherwise, the Empire might have become stagnant in growth, and collapsed within just a couple of centuries. :|
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David I think the Empire did just do that in a couple of centuries for after Marcus Aurelius things did indeed go a bit on the down turn.
Brian Stobbs
Philus
Sounds like in Gladiator they say. "Archers ignite." "Archers Draw." then "Loose!"
If that is what you were asking.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
It more or less comes out a bit like Adrian said in the first instance but with only the three word commands.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks for the fascinating thread, everyone. The wealth of information here is impressive.
Nunquam non paratus

John Haberman
Yep!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel