Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Greek architecture
Hi guys,

I remember flipping through a book on Greek architecture in a Barnes & Noble (any popular bookstore is comparable) over a year ago. That book made a statement that I haven't forgotten since, to wit. that Greeks built their structures in pursuit of a central idea of One, Ideal, building; whereas the Romans built their structures haphazardly, of all shapes and forms, indifferent to finding that one Ideal building which would be suitable for all occasions.

My question is simple: have any of you read recent books on Greek architecture, and remember where that statement could come from?
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
That somehow doesn't seem quite correct, given that Greek architecture utilised many building designs, depending on purpose, just like everyone else........

Perhaps the statement was with reference to Temple designs ? .........that seems to fit better.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
No no, the book in question specifically made the point that Greeks tried to approximate the Perfect building, in all of their designs. That's what struck me as curious and as something to remember.

James S.
Quote:No no, the book in question specifically made the point that Greeks tried to approximate the Perfect building, in all of their designs. That's what struck me as curious and as something to remember.

The perfect building mathematically? The perfect building for that purpose and locale?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I'm not completely clear, which is part of why I wanted to find that book again. From what I understood, this building would be 'perfect' by standing in a way that a building 'ought' to stand; in an Aristotelian, teleological sense; or likewise in a Platonic ideal sense.

You can notice this Platonic streak in much of Greek thought. The Greek profile is beautiful, fine. Does that beauty arise in a mathematical sense? In an aesthetic sense? Who knows, but all we can tell is that a human face cannot look better than that. Same with the military camps which Polybius says they established in complete accordance with the terrain; their aim was to set up such a camp that no other camp could be more ideally situated for this particular terrain. Etc.

I'm not saying this extended to architecture, but the book makes the argument that it does, which is what makes it all the more interesting!

James S.