Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Role of the army in the towns of northern europe...
Hey guys can you lend me any info on this subject?<br>
<br>
So far I've got urbanisation, policing duties, influx of wealth, etc, but anything you have to offer, be it on one of those just mentioned or something new, would be amazing.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Sam <p></p><i></i>
One of the more important roles of the army very likely was introducing Roman culture. Not in the sense of teachiong the natzioves lation or building museums, but in the sense of creating demand for goods and services that, once established, would also be bought or used by natives. Add to that the establishment of certain routines of urban life in their canabae that the locals would fall into - when to eat, when to go to the baths, what day to have religious celebrations, how civic associations work, that kind of thing. It was likely a two-way exchange, but in the West the Roman element was probaly a lot more influential in the cities. After all, they made them - often enough physically built big parts of them. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
There was certainly a centurion at Carlisle a centurio regionarius. He is referred to in the Vindolanda letters. This mirrors similar arrangements in Egypt. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I've always found the army's negative role equally fascinating, specifically in committing felonies and aiding and abetting local organised crime rackets!! (this is well documented in egypt, with complaints surviving from the locals covering a multitude of sins from sheep rustling, brawling and assisting local brigands!)<br>
I guess keeping marauding soldiery under control would be one of the major roles of the beneficiari (who will police the police?!) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=enniuspaulinus>Ennius Paulinus</A> at: 12/18/04 2:03 am<br></i>