Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Umbo drawing help
I have seen reproductions of the Dubitatus umbo, poor quality pictures of the original and the drawing in B&C2.

However, the B&C 2 drawing although good is too small to use for reproduction purposes.

Does anyone have a good close up drawing of the Dubitatus umbo showing all the details.

Thanks in adavance
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The illustration (free download) from Dr. Mike's website is Huge!!

http://romanmilitaryequipment.co.uk/figures.htm

Also image from the BM here..
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/hi ... page=21218

[Image: DSCF2740.jpg]
Peroni,

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I have been looking at this umbo for a while. It seems the best images are from the reconstructions , here on RAT itself. The biggest problem seems to be finding an umbo of the correct proportions. Probably have to make one.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron . If you should decide to make an Umbo remember to curve the sheet of metal before you begin to beat out the dome, the tube that is used to create it has to have the same curve as the sheet of metal which of course needs to match the curve of a Scutum.

The reason for this curve of the metal is that it gets rid of a 90 degree situation at the left and right side of the umbo when it is made with a flat sheet, this sharp angle prevents the plate from sitting correctly against the shield surface near the hand grip. This method that I suggest gives an umbo which has verticaly a curve of 180 degrees and horizontaly a curve of around 190 degrees, this 10 degrees difference is no problem at all and creates a smarter and tidy job when fitted.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian. I was wondering about that aspect!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you can do some basic metalwork, send me a PM and I'll let you know the way I handle that geometry problem.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The biggest problem seems to be finding an umbo of the correct proportions. Probably have to make one.

And if you can't do that job yourself, I'm sure there are (Indian) suppliers, who can make on to your specs.
ALA I BATAVORUM