Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Defeated: In A Civil War
What were the after-battle procedures during a civil war? Did the victors still mercillesly pursue the losers and annihilate them? Or could the defeated side surrender, call it quits and rejoin the Roman army on the winning side?<br>
<br>
I'm thinking in particular of the Battle of Lyons, but info on any civil war would help me out on this.<br>
<br>
Many Thanks<br>
<p><strong>Paul Elliott/<em>Caius Fortunatus</em></strong><br>
<br>
3rd Century Auxiliary (<em>Cohors Quinta Gallorum</em>)<br>
<br>
4th Century Legionnary (<em>Comitatus</em>)<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/zozergames/interactive.html</p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I know of several occasions during the 4th century that the troops of the vanquished Romans were incorporated in the army of the winning Romans. But there are some indications that units that chose the 'wrong' side, were demoted from the <em>comitatenses</em> to the <em>limitanei</em>. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Robert,<br>
<br>
I'm just trying to flesh out a 'character' - I don't know how many other people do this, but I do a lot of roleplaying (Dungeons & Dragons stuff, you know) and I find it helps me really try and boil down what I am, where I am and what it is I'm supposed to be. <p><strong>Paul Elliott/<em>Caius Fortunatus</em></strong><br>
<br>
3rd Century Auxiliary (<em>Cohors Quinta Gallorum</em>)<br>
<br>
4th Century Legionnary (<em>Comitatus</em>)<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/zozergames/interactive.html</p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Was Vermina defeated at Simutthus? Michael Collins 8 3,059 12-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  What happened to the weapons, armor of a defeated legion? Anonymous 2 1,198 12-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Last Post: