Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babelfish test
Recently, I wrote an article on "minimalists" and "maximalists" on the blog of a friend. It is in Dutch, but it was picked up by an American blogger, who had read it, using Babelfish. The American blogger knows German, which is pretty close to Dutch, and knows what maximalists and minimalists are, so I believe he really read and understood my article. However, when I tried to read it in Babelfish, I though the article had to be utterly incomprehensible.

So here is my request: can you make sense of this article? (If that helps, here is the Dutch original.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Interestingly, I can see your writing style through the babelfish gibberishization!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I can see your writing style through the babelfish gibberishization!
Is that a compliment or a reproach? :? wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
Neither, unless it's a compliment for Babelfish. Your blog style is very recognizable, I think and it still is after 'translation' by BF.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I can mostly understand your discussion. You talk about whether there was a large Kingdom of Solomon and say that the difference between maximalists and minimalists is a philosophical difference about what to do when there is no contemporary archaeological support for something, but some later literary support for it. Either view can be held by an honest scholar.

Some parts of the 'translation' are nonsense, though. And yes, I can see a bit of your personal style through the garbling.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:And yes, I can see a bit of your personal style through the garbling.
I am really surprised and feel really honored that people have read so many things I wrote that they are accustomed to my style. I feel a blush on my cheeks.[Image: blush.gif]
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Babelfish - Babylonian speech confusion Robert Vermaat 9 2,101 10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Instead of a babelfish... mcbishop 4 1,997 12-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Last Post: richsc