Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off to Europe!
So I've decided that, given my current situation, I owe myself a vacation. I could think of no better way to spend this time than a couple of weeks in Europe next month. I'll be flying into London, and from there my options are pretty much open. The main places I have to go are Normandy and Bitche, France (my grandfather fought there during World War II.) Other than that, I'd like to field suggestions from you folks. I'd prefer to stay in Western Europe, but anythings's fair game. Kalkriese is definitely an option, and some parts of Hadrian's Wall are on my list. So, given a couple of weeks, what should be at the top of my list in terms of Roman and other history? Thanks!
-Matt

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
A 'Roman army tour' would be trekking along the Rhine. Depending on time and money (hotels are NOT cheap here, but b&b / hostels might be) you could start close to the Swiss border and work your way up to the North Sea. It's one museum after the other that way. Kalkriese would be a 200 mile (in-and-out) sidetrack.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
What about Rome? There will be fewer tourists this time of year, so shorter lines to see places. If you get down towards the Mediterranean it will be warmer, and there are more ancient things to see.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Indeed Rome would be an option, but if you've limited time for your whole trip and want to see more, maybe Rome isn't the best option. You can spend days and days in the city itself, not even visit Ostia and Napel, Pompeii and Herculaneum. If you're up north there, probably, are better things to see.

You already stated Hadrians Wall and London, so I suppose you'll visit the British Museum, Museum of London, and the museums along the Wall. Then you've already a seen a lot of Roman goodies. For napoleonic history, there's much to see in France. You've to decide what you find interesting, as there's so much to see in Europe.

The trip Jasper suggest, also shows you many nice museums indeed. Recommended.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I think you should visit the Louvre, which has one of the world's largest collections of Antiquity. I also think that, if you have never been to Rome and Athens, they should be on top of your list; Delphi and Pompeii are not to be despised.

But if you concentrate on the Roman army, Jasper's suggestion is a very good one. I once wrote an itinerary for an American acquaintance, which you can find here. (Note that the museum of Tongeren will reopen this spring, and is still closed.) I would add Mainz (more, more) and Haltern, and leave out Kalkriese. It is a disappointment, honestly (more...).

I have good experiences with the Ibis Hotels; they are **/***, clean, not too expensive, and serve great breakfasts. Mainz, Essen, Cologne, any great German city has them.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the suggestions! I went to Rome back in 2003, so I probably wouldn't head down that way; northern Italy is definitely an option though (I've got family around Torino that I can go see.) Also, I might be going to Monaco to tour the International Hydrographic Office, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the pointer on the hotels, Jona,; I don't want to spend too much, but at the same time, I'll probably have too much stuff with me to go to a hostel.

I'll definitely consider the "along the Rhine" tour; that sounds like a lot of fun. I'll keep you guys posted, and maybe I can see a few of you over there.
-Matt

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Quote:So I've decided that, given my current situation, I owe myself a vacation. I could think of no better way to spend this time than a couple of weeks in Europe next month. I'll be flying into London, and from there my options are pretty much open. The main places I have to go are Normandy and Bitche, France (my grandfather fought there during World War II.) Other than that, I'd like to field suggestions from you folks. I'd prefer to stay in Western Europe, but anythings's fair game. Kalkriese is definitely an option, and some parts of Hadrian's Wall are on my list. So, given a couple of weeks, what should be at the top of my list in terms of Roman and other history? Thanks!

You know what/ come over to ireland if its takes your fancy 8)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
There you go, that shaves two hours off the flight to continental Europe! Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine