Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka AH2005 Gladius of Mainz (Help)
I have always liked the sword mentioned in the subject but before I purchase it, I would like to hear some of the opinions here on RAT as to how well it is made and how "accurate" it is. I have attached a picture below in the event someone needs a visual reference. I had this picture from my files. I do not remember where I obtained it. I apologize if it is not crystal clear. I also apologize if its from someones site. I just do not know where.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... ldius2.jpg

I have a few questions:

Are the dimensions correct?
Is the hilt bone and wood or some plastic resembling bone?
Is the blade or any other steel components mild steel or stainless steel?
Is is well balanced and does it have a conceivably "correct" weight
Is there any tinning on the scabbard?

Finally, has anyone encountered any probelms with this galdius such as: sword rattles in the scabbard due to a poor fit or is it difficult to remove the sword from the scabbard. Is there any work that needs to be done on this sword to make it better IF NECESSARY.

Thanks for you help. I am going to an invent and need an accurate piece of equipment within the next two weeks.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Ah! the picture from my website!

Quote:Are the dimensions correct?
No. The scabbard is much too wide IMO (Based on Augustan period scabbard)

Quote:Is the hilt bone and wood or some plastic resembling bone?
Definately bone (Camel) A bit too long though.

Quote:Is the blade or any other steel components mild steel or stainless steel?
Mild steel (EN45) tempered.

Quote:Is is well balanced and does it have a conceivably "correct" weight

The sword itself is a lovely weight and balance. Very nice.

Quote:Is there any tinning on the scabbard?
Yes, the underlying front plate is tinned.
Thanks Peroni for the reply.

Sorry, I used your picture. I could not remember where I had gotten it from. The grip can always be fixed. As far as the scabbard is concerned, how wide is too wide.

But overall, the sword is acceptable?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Edited:

Quote:The scabbard is much too wide IMO (Based on Augustan period scabbard)
This has been discussed before, and I know I found at least one example of Mainz 'opus interasile' scabbard that was extremely wide like the Deepeeka, also in repsonse to a comment on this Deepeeka gladius.

http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentari ... ainz06.jpg
http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentari ... ainz07.jpg

I'm certain Christophe did not base the design on this sword:
http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentari ... ainz12.jpg

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15558">viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15558<!-- l
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus,

Thanks for the info. I did not know it had been discussed before. Everytime I do a search, I come up with everything other than what I want. It takes me forever to go through everything.

Paolo
Quote:Everytime I do a search, I come up with everything other than what I want. It takes me forever to go through everything.

That's called research, isn't it?

I second Adrians statement that "The sword itself is a lovely weight and balance. Very nice." It's one of the best balanced swords from Deepeeka I've handled, but indeed I would a slightly smaller one.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Doc,

I just recently got this sword, it is very nice... and i agree with whatever else is saying its weight is just right and the balance alot better than the previous mainz from Depeeka,

I got mine from a company called Medieval arms, they're selling on on ebay just now for £58.50,

[url:2um3s9zt]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roman-Gladius-type-Mainz-1st-cent-A-D-AH2005_W0QQitemZ370146323003QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item370146323003&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

The only negative thing i have to say about this sword is like my other new depeeka, the scabbard is rather tight, needs a bit of oil and pulling your sword in and out about a dozen times before it losens!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
The trouble with the scabbard is not that is very wide. There are some Mainz swords with blades over 8 cm wide. The trouble is that is very wider than the blade, more than 1 cm wider at each side.

Another troubles is the desproportion of the triangular part decorated with opus interasile at the chape, and the pieces around the suspension cross bands.

The decoration could be better, but we have to think it's a cheap piece.
To ilustrate what i mean, because my english obvious limitations, i have made this superposition, from a picture from Armae's web.

The blue item is the blade, outlined from the one at the upper part of the picture. The doted line is, in my opinion, how the scababrd have to be. You can compares with the real one:

[Image: Grfico1-4.jpg]
Thanks all for the replies and input it really helps with my decision.

Jurjen,

Thanks for the hint. However, I am a chemist and I know EXACTLY what research is.

Paolo
Quote:Thanks for the hint. However, I am a chemist and I know EXACTLY what research is.

Yeah, another Chemist on the board. (although I'm just a student for now).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurgen,

Good luck with your chemistry studies. It is a long road but can be worth it in the end.

I am professor of synthetic organic chemistry. If you are interested in knowing more let me know.

Paolo
I know exactly what you mean about the search results Doc, my comiserations, I feel better knowing
professors have the same problem! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

Thanks for understanding. I have tried to use it several times but always come up with too many possibilites. I do not mind sifting through older threads since it can be fun to see all that we have discussed. However, when I need something, it should come to light "today".

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Best Deepeeka Gladius Reproductions 2023? SinoSparo 1 449 07-06-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Mycerinus
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,341 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,648 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park