Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take that!
What was written on a sling lead bulled? Something like take that? I think it was in Greek, any other refferences? Anything in Latin?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
I saw one (off a link from slinging.org) that had wings like those found on a scutum, and it is very common to have a legion designation on one side (LEG XF) for example.

I've read that they put all sorts of things on them, in the mold. I've thought -- since there's not much room for a paragraph on a sling bullet -- HIC SVM would be a good one
(Here I am). Or TIBI (for you).
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Faventianus:
Hi. You may be quite shocked by what you read! CIL (corpus Inscriptione Latin - I messed that up, sorry) lists them. This is a massive many volumn set of latin inscriptions.

I recall many were directed against the oponents commanders by name. They often carry obscene messages. Such as I seak Octavians ass (is it okay to type that on this forum?).

An interesting note is that the soldiers must have been quite literate to scribe and read these.

Good luck.

Kevin
Quote:is it okay to type that on this forum?
Yes. What is not allowed is calling other forum members names. ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
A couple that I've used from finds from Asculum

EM TIBE MALUM MALO (here is evil/apples for an evil one)
FVGITIVI PERISTIS (Die fugitives!)
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Ave,

Second that last comment, An aquantance here in the balkans has quite a collection of these. Some have a pretty crude phallus , others have initials etc. I found one in a junk store in Pristina that had P R , Only thing I could think of other than the owners initials was Pax Romana.....So I guess there were political statements as well.

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
Great! Thank you for you anwers!!!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
glandes have been found personally addressed to Antony and his wife, Fulvia, with obscene comments about both of them.
Pecunia non olet
Given the fact these were very up to date in their lettering and insults, any idea how the molds were made? Were these simple clay molds with the insults/inscriptions cut in mirror image??
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
One of the links from slinging.org shows a clay mold that makes three or four at a time, but he details the shrinkage problem (with ceramic clay) and getting the two halves of the mold to mate.

Some evidently could be made from hard woods, and some experimenters make short term molds from Plaster of Paris. Some one sided molds were evidently made from soft rock.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:One of the links from slinging.org shows a clay mold that makes three or four at a time, but he details the shrinkage problem (with ceramic clay) and getting the two halves of the mold to mate.

Some evidently could be made from hard woods, and some experimenters make short term molds from Plaster of Paris. Some one sided molds were evidently made from soft rock.

You can cast one by sticking your thumb into the ground and pouring lead into that but I'd guess at clay for the inscribed ones.
The mating problem is a resolved by key-cutting or pegging the mould halves so that they have to be alligned properly in order to fit together. The shrinking problem owes more to the type of clay used. A nice clay, sand and manure mix would yield better results and dusting the mould with powdered clay before pouring makes it easier to get the casting out, reducing the rsik of damaging the mould.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I use soapstone moulds. I put a few scratch marks on each side of the mould and make sure they are in alignment to reduce "flash". I cast just two shot at a time.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Would a wooden mould work? Perhaps if it was moistened to reduce scorching?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jef, take care when moistening or wetting molds in which molten metal is poured. The steam can give you a bad scalding and it could eject hot metal. I will try making a playdough mold one of these days. One uses 1 part flour and 1 part salt, a little veg oil and water, it can be baked rock hard in the oven at 100 C. I have no experience with this, so it will be a total experiment as to shrinkage and the like.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Jef, take care when moistening or wetting molds in which molten metal is poured. The steam can give you a bad scalding and it could eject hot metal. I will try making a playdough mold one of these days. One uses 1 part flour and 1 part salt, a little veg oil and water, it can be baked rock hard in the oven at 100 C. I have no experience with this, so it will be a total experiment as to shrinkage and the like.

Looking forward to what you find out! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be