Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilliary Helmets
I came across this on the Augusta site. Worth reading.<br>
www.legiiavg.org.uk/artic...lmets.html <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
"The classification system created by Robinson is now perhaps outdated, as a number of new examples have been published which do not fit neatly within his A-J categories, which means that the system needs now to be either renewed or scrapped for academic purposes."<br>
<br>
Agreed!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Derek, I wrote the article because i've felt for a long time that we reenactors over exaggerate the difference between auxiliary and legionary kit, and i used the helmet as an example. I've come across more info more recently on helmets, so i guess its time for an update.<br>
I'm about to pen another piece on a shield cover i made earlier in the year, based on evidence from both Roomburg and Windisch, (incidentally, having looked at such evidence i''m becoming increasingly dubious about our generic dura shields, but thats another story...!) I recall seeing your shield cover some years ago, so i'd appreciate any thoughts you might have either on the manufacture or use of your reconstruction, you can email any points to me at: [email protected] <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilliary Armor Connor Augustus 4 1,255 10-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Youngster
  infantry vs. auxilliary Anonymous 9 2,770 05-24-2001, 12:24 PM
Last Post: