Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Beards
Greetings!,and yes,i know this looks a bit odd,but i'm presently trying to cultivate one of the above"objects"for the benefit of my alter ego,now i realise that moustaches and full blown beards appear to have been popular during the late 4th Century but my question is,would a western Germanic warrior have sported any kind of variation at this time,specificaly around the mouth and chin only?,as i said,an odd question but,i belive,just as important as any other aspect of an interpretation(and that's my excuse Smile ).
Iain Victory is Mine..stewie griffin
If you're a Roman, a beard is OK, but not a moustache only. the Romans seem to have had no word for moustache, although some think that the term 'Gothic beard' may have referred to it.

For a Germanic warrior, both are fine.
However, mind you that the image of long-bearded warriors (preferably fur-clad and dirty) is nor quite the common image of a Germanic warrior..... :|
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks very much Robert,it's a useful thing to know realy,the only thing that i'm still unsure about is whether or not a beard that only covers the chin(coupled with a moustache)and leaves the jaw and face bare is acceptable for a W Germanic of c400C.E,sorry about this but i'm determined to get things right this time(and i did ditch the spatha and pugio by the way :oops: ).
For mid-Vth century there is some good descriptions of germanic (frankish and gothic) elites in Sidonius Apollinaris.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Thanks Agraes and sorry for taking this long to reply,as i've been laid up with my back(what's left of it Sad twisted: ,anyhow,thanks again and all the best.