Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
helmet book
Hi all!

I have read something about a book called "antike helme" wich contains a lot of info about greek helmets that are in museums in Germany. The book was published in 1989. Anyone know's something about this book? I bought recently "weapons of Rome and Greece" by Fernando Quesada, nice book, but I want some more detailed info about archeological discoveries.

thank you very much
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
If it's information on Hellenistic helmets you're after, then Antike Helme by Markus Egg and Hellenistische Helme by Petros Dintsis are the two best works to consult. Egg's book collects only actual helmets in German collections, which means that many unfortunately are only roughly dated and unprovenanced; Dintsis' collects visual representations and actual helmets and sets them into a typology. Both books are very good, but Dintsis' is superior. Egg's book is not hard to find I think, but Dintsis' is and is very expensive to boot (there's a copy on Abebooks for $536).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thank you very much for your help!

More than 500 € Confusedhock: , it is almost as expensive as the own armor! Anyway it must be a wonderful resource.

Thanks again Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]