Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenistic equipment / armies - any books, websites ?
Avete,

There seem to be few books dedicated to the Hellenistic period when it comes to military equipment. Hellenic and Roman times are given ample attention but not the intervening period we call Hellenistic.

Are there any books or websites that cover the period, say, from 325 to 30 b.C. ?
Again, I'm refering to military equipment and army organization not the history.

BTW, I'm looking forward to getting Angus McBride's last Osprey book in September (on Heriodian Armies).

Thanks in advance !

~Theo
Jaime
(Alexander and) The Hellenistic Age - Peter Green
The Legacy of Alexander - AB Bosworth
War in the Hellenistic World - Angelos Chaniotis
The Wars of Alexander's successors - Bob Bennett and Mike Roberts

No prizes for guessing what I'm researching at the moment...
The last two look particularly promising.

I hope I can find them in print.

Maybe if I posted in the Greek section I'd get more suggestions, but this list is a good start.

Thanks

~Theo
Jaime
Ancient Warfare III.1 & III.2 will have large parts/all respectively dedicated to Hellenistic armies and soldiers.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I just bought an Osprey book on Greek calvery...but as I never got around to reading it and the exact title escapes me at the moment, not sure if it was Helenistic cavelry or an earlier period it covered. I'll update this post when I get home in a couple of weeks.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel