Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laudes system
A 'Laudes' (aka Karma/Reputation) system is not built in by default in the new forum. It could of course be added later, but the question is: do we want to do so?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Speaking as a relative newcomer, I liked the laudes system. On many forums, the authority, reliability, and seniority are often based on post-count of users. I was pleasantly surprised when I first came here that the laudes system allowed me to see users whom other users found had gone above and beyond.
AKA Chris Walters
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Quote:Speaking as a relative newcomer, I liked the laudes system. On many forums, the authority, reliability, and seniority are often based on post-count of users. I was pleasantly surprised when I first came here that the laudes system allowed me to see users whom other users found had gone above and beyond.

Even though after over a year of posting I only had 3 laudes Cry , I've got to agree with Rotvndvs. It's a valuable way of rewarding other users who have proven themselves to be reliable / incisive / helpful.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Not sure how it worked here before, but on other forums it's a good way of seeing who posts lots of good info compared to who posts guff; which is never very obvious when you have to go on post-count alone.
Arma virumque cano
Quote:Not sure how it worked here before, but on other forums it's a good way of seeing who posts lots of good info compared to who posts guff; which is never very obvious when you have to go on post-count alone.

Agree!
Iosephus Augustus/
Joseph Augustus Clark
I voted "no". I think the medal system is way better, and it also helps people in finding out where exactly other member´s expertises are. So, a (maybe even more detailed) well maintained medal system would be way better than the laudes. Both is a bit unnecessary, methinks.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:So, a (maybe even more detailed) well maintained medal system would be way better than the laudes.
That's more work for one (or a few) person (people) though, instead of a split second member decision to reward a certain valuable posting with a laude.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Just found that I can "re-cast" my vote - the voting doesn't seem to be final once the vote has been cast. Bug or feature (bug, I think!)?
No, feature. Something that can be turned on or off when making the poll.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I looked into this for a message board I maintain. There is still no karma(Laudes) mod approved for an active forum. Unfortunately the developers seem to have the most problems with this mod with just trying to get it to work properly. Kinda hard to believe anyone would install an unstable mod on this board even with the high approval on the poll.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
I voted Yes because it's a system that everybody can use at any time. The medal system is divided between a mass of medals awarded for membership and just a few medals for exellence. The laudes system is much better to encourage new members, for instance.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I like both, the medal system as well as the laudes. The laudes you could give for a specific post which you like and award so the author of that post. The medals are for the generall work and contributions someone is making here, though I still miss a special medal for gladiators.
I see the laudes system is back up & running i voted "i dont care "cause i dont really in the big picture.... but - Karma to whomsoever knocked of my 1 point & left no message ,you are a bad man :lol:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Well, Barcid, now you'll have a PM to explain why or about what the + - was given. That should help. At least you'll know to whom to mail the box of aggravated army ants, right? :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:but - Karma to whomsoever knocked of my 1 point
Everybody restarted from 0. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys