Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz sword transformation
Today, i only have had time to solder the gutters to the chape, and do a lot of polish.

The mouth piece. A little polishing changes a lot the look of the pieces!

[Image: DSC05177.jpg]

And the scabbard polished.

[Image: DSC05182.jpg]
Cool!

I'm so looking forward to starting mine! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Congratulations Cesar!!
Another Caesar's guide step by step, also for beguiners or veterans in the reconstruction wolrd.
Congratulations again!!
Now, go to the blade!!!
QUIM RÍPODAS
LEGIO PRIMA GERMANICA/SEPTIMANI SENIORES
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.primagermanica.com">http://www.primagermanica.com
Very, very nice, Cesar! What thickness of brass sheet did you use for the mouth piece?
ALA I BATAVORUM
wow wow wow wow wow wow

Great work, Caesar!!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Looks superb Cesar Confusedhock:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Thanks!

The mouth piece is made in a very thin plate (0,5 mm), as roman ones were. The oval top plate is thicker, 2 mm, because have to resist the impact of the guard when the sword is put into the scabbard (Gladius condite!).
Great stuff look forward to the finished piece Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I like it Cesar very good, however just one question how do you fit the mouthpiece (strikerplate) to the sword guttering. Is it soldered on or do you use rivets right thro' the guttering.
Brian Stobbs
Interesting question!!!

Well, i will pass two nails in each side of the the back. If i solder it, probably i will burn the wooden sheath.

I have thought that probably romans first solder the mouth piece, and introduces the wooden part by the chape, being it unsoldered. One time the wooden is in place, then close the chape guttering, and to get the chape closed, then put the terminal and soldered it. It's easier to control the soldering in that way, i think.

Another possibility is to made the top plate without soldering, consisting in two squares as extensions of the mouth plate, one at the fron and one at the back. You put the wooden parts and then turn those extensions 90º one over the other, and make the hole to pass the blade. I have seen some drawings of roman swords and i thought there were made in this way.

How makes yours?
Cesar . I find that an interesting answer and have to say that when I have done swords, maybe I cheat a little for I drill thro' both the mouth piece and the guttering also the wood or metal plates. I then counter sink the holes I drill so when I rivet I clean off these rivets and they are invisable it works ok I suppose.
Brian Stobbs
Hello,

Next step is to made a terminal for the chape. Normally, the Mainz type have a inverted mushroom shape, sometimes very big and usually decored with vertical grooves.

Initially, i thought in do it with the lathe. Then, i have remember that i have some deepeeka apron studs, with a shape that could be used.

Then i solder it to a ring with some ridges, and the terminal is done:

[Image: S7306692.jpg]

You can see the deepeeka apron stud at the right side.
Next step is to put the suspension crossed bands. Some Mainz swords have decoration under the cross band, so first i have made 3 decorated bands:

[Image: S7306680.jpg]

Sorry, for the quality of the picture.... :oops:

Then i put the cross bands, fix them with nails riveted, and under i put the decorated bands.

The final appearence is:

[Image: S7306712.jpg]

An the chape:

[Image: S7306713.jpg]
The scabbard:

[Image: S7306711.jpg]

And a picture of a detail from an original one:

[Image: pvgiones_gladiipartis23.jpg]

In a few days, i will go for the handle.
I do like the crossbands the whole decor goes so well together, Very nice indeed.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,777 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Cheap gladius transformation LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 3 1,755 02-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake