Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman marching weight and distance vs. moderns
I was wondering if anyone could contrast the weight carried by the Roman soldiers in different periods with the modern soldiers (regular and elite units). Also how far they routinely and forced marched with that weight. What kind of shape were the Romans' finest in compared with the moderns? Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
The weight carried by a legionary in the early Principate would average around 66lbs - 30kg - which is roughly what a modern soldier carries. According to Vegitius they were routinely expected to mark 20 Roman miles in five hours with this weight - and build a marching camp at the end of it. <p>Homo Homini Lupus Every Man is a Wolf to Another Man</p><i></i>
I think that a comparison to modern day soldiers would be..at best speculation and guesses... as I am about to do. I would say that no one is more in shape or could march longer than the other. No doubt a Roman legion was well trained and was marching on roads a majority of the time. This could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but during the Boudicca rebellion, Legions under the command of Suetonius Paulinus made good time, when intercepting the enemy in the south. Todays armies are based on vehicles and air power now and can move much faster. Put those armies in the place of the legions and they would be able to cope and adapt. More or less I would say the Romans did more physical labor and walking around than the average soldier would today, but with training any man can gain endurance in the field. Aug33 <p></p><i></i>
When we did our marches along the wall we were carrying about 88lbs all up which is the same as our Marines (Royal) were yomping across the falklands in 1981. Thats a pretty good comparison as the marine must be some of the fittest troops in the world. I would think that is about the most weight a fit man of any period could be expected to carry. If you recall they tried to get the Welsh Guards to do the same but they were not up to it and they had to go by ship . Hence the Sir Galahad disaster. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 89 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown
  Safe distance Gunthamund Hasding 32 7,371 10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: JaM
  Draw weight of Roman stone projecting machines Koyuncu 2 1,338 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Koyuncu