Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Units in Judea in the Pre-Flavian Period
Hey Guys,<br>
I'm new to the site. Been a Roman Army nut for a long time. Been wondering what's the latest theories/views regrading the Auxiliary units in Judea in the Pre-Flavian period. I guess the common view from Jospehus is that there were 5 Auxiliary Cohorts drawn from Caesarea,Ascalon, Ptolemais, Joppa and Sebaste, and an Ala drawn from Sebaste(leftovers from Herod's army). I've also heard the argument over the possbilty of one of the two Italian citizen cohorts being based in Judea, as well, though I guess there been some disagreement as to when. Have there been any scholarly works lately that have added to this field? I know Speidal wrote a short article on the subject, but I can't get my hands on it for the life of me. Also, what's the prevailing theory on the Prefect/Procurator's officium(staff) in Judea? I know some works have been written regarding the staffs of certain Pro-Consular and Imperial Provincal Governors, but I've haven't heard much about what type of system would have been in place in the Equestrian provinces. How big would the offcium in these have been? Would it have been drawn from one of the Legions in Syria, or would it have been taken of Auxiliaries from the Province? Seems odd that a Roman official wouldn't have at least some Roman/ Italian staff with him, especially since he would have probably needed citizens to act as of translators, speculatores, financial clerks, and judicial officers. Presumably, the Legates and Emperors(not to mention the Prefects themselves) would have also wanted their Prefects and Procurators inner circles to be more "Roman", especially in the early days of the Principate, when the Auxilaries were far more "ethnic". Just wanted to see what the everyone thought.<br>
--Mike B <p></p><i></i>
Salve Rufus! Sorry not to be the expert, or even best informed around here, but I did want to extend a welcome. Hope someone jumps in. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Ave, Rufus,<br>
The topic of the Roman garrison at Judea has been commented at this topic on Mel Gibson's movie. (Second page)<br>
Hope that it helps,<br>
Vale, [url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=281.topic" target="top]pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=281.topic[/url]<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aitoririarte>Aitor Iriarte</A> at: 3/11/04 12:29 pm<br></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
The link is no more reachable or lost?<br>
Also looking with the "search" any topic that mentions Mel Gibson's movie is disappeared.<br>
Anyone knows why? <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
You can find the discussion in the "Off Topic" section, 4th page in /"New Mel Gibson Christ Movie..." The discussion in that thread goes 7 pages. It did include extension discussion concerning what units would have served in Judea at that time.<br>
<br>
Marcus Quintius Clavus/Quinton <p></p><i></i>
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman military presence in Judea Jason Micallef 12 2,184 02-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Legionnaires in first century Judea? MarcusNorwood 3 2,270 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Albertomv
  Roman Auxiliary uniforms in Judea Currahee Chris 9 4,103 07-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner