Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese mask by me
The reason I use the Vetchen mask as a comparison is that it is the same type as the Kakriese, and that it also has the same 4 holes in it's rear edge similar as the Kalkriese does. The reason I have made my mask in the way I have is that I am trying to show how the Kalkriese mask looked at its final stage when covered in silver. I think it might be better if you read my paper and try to understand the different stages of the Kalkriese mask before the Varian disaster. I know that there is a large gap between the holes where the hinge blocks were on the Kalkriese, however what I have tried to point out to you is that when you look at a good picture of the mask these holes are in long dull patches that indicate the hinge blocks were longer than those on the Vetchen.
Brian Stobbs
O.K. Big Grin

in article are just dry describe Cry ...maybe You've some drows with details of the mechanism used in Kalkriese mask ?

don't understand me wrong but in my work I made many things by some describes and then nothing worked well Cry ....for exemple in the case of Kipchak masked helmets ...we know just some parts of the hinge from many others masks...we don't know any exemple (even little part) of the mechanism from the helmet ...but we know few ideas from elaborates - and nothing of this works good !
...the mechanism what I made works really good ....and gives answer for the question :why one of the mask (Lipovec) was found up site down on the helmet ? ....but I'm not sure is it really proboble :?: ...it's just experiment

I hope You understand what I mean....I really appreciate Your work - Your aarticle is only about Kalkriese mask I read Smile cry: but I didn't know this befor
Patryk. I am sorry but there are no drawings all that I have is the paper I published, and the mask I produced is based upon what I consider it looked like in 9AD. The original did have a sheet of silver that covered it with it's edgeing that held it on, it is only because the silver was removed that we learn more about it's history before 9AD. I have even a theory that it may also at an earlier time have had ears which were removed, this is of course only my opinion and could never be proved. There are only 2 others I know that are similar to the Kalkriese and they are the Vechten and the Kops Plateau in Nijmegen, I wonder if also these other 2 at some time had ears on them. The 2 others still have a hinge bar but this has been removed from Kalkriese, and I think the reason was to be able to fit the silver sheet for the other 2 do not have this.

Here is a link to another that I made some years ago it is a "cavalry sports type B" and has a different style of hinge system, I was not correct in my paper where I mention this type hinge on the Kalkriese. It is simply a leather strap that is riveted to the helmet.

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/roman7.jpg

This is a copy of the one found at Trimontium in Scotland
Brian Stobbs
It can be seen in my copy of the Trimontium when viewed from the front that the hinge strap is offset from the center, the original helmet when found did not have a face mask however this offset is still apparent on the helmet bowl behind the peek. This was done by the craftsman who fitted it's original mask for a very definate reason that he did not wish to damage a piece of decoration, this decoration is in the center of the bowl right behind the peek and is a Fleur-de-lis made up from punktim dots he simply moved his 2 rivets that held the leather hinge to one side. The reproduction was made for the Trimontium Trust so to complete a cavalry sports I fitted the Mask that was found at Trimontium without a helmet and the 2 came together very well.

Here is a link to the original which of course does show this offset of the rivets on the bowl.

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/roman10.jpg
Brian Stobbs
Here is me and the mask, great work Patryk :wink: !

[Image: Me.jpg]
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Do you put any kind of padding under that mask? Seems like an impact would cause some damage even through the metal. Oh, and it would be pretty rough to wear in really cold or really hot weather without some insulation, wouldn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Do you put any kind of padding under that mask? Seems like an impact would cause some damage even through the metal. Oh, and it would be pretty rough to wear in really cold or really hot weather without some insulation, wouldn't it?

Hi David! I am not intending to "use" the mask. It is only a reminder of the 2000th anniversary of the so-called "Varusschlacht". It is made of a very thick iron and also too heavy to use as a real mask with helmet. So it is only a "decorative item" :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
OK, but what do you suppose the Romans did? Linen over wool felt? Had to be something, seems to me.

And Happy Anniversary!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:OK, but what do you suppose the Romans did? Linen over wool felt? Had to be something, seems to me.

And Happy Anniversary!

I think that when the mask was attached to the helmet it leaved some room between the face and the mask. So no cushion & insulation was needed?! Dunno :roll: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hey, does someone has the measurements of the original Kalkriese mask; the height and the width? Thanks in advance!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Virilis. The original is about 16 cm from corner to corner at the top, and the length is about 17 cm from top center to chin infact a very small mask. The original I would say is about no more than 1mm in thickness maybe even less, when I made a couple of copies in the past I used 1.2mm thick metal.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Virilis. The original is about 16 cm from corner to corner at the top, and the length is about 17 cm from top center to chin infact a very small mask. The original I would say is about no more than 1mm in thickness maybe even less, when I made a couple of copies in the past I used 1.2mm thick metal.

Thanks Brian for the info! My mask is 20 cm high and 17 cm wide, so considerably bigger than the original. Anyway it was meant to be a decorative item in the first place :wink: . Is it possible to see your reconstructions somewhere?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:OK, but what do you suppose the Romans did? Linen over wool felt? Had to be something, seems to me.

On my forthcomming mask I planned to use a leather lining inside the mask. The mask is completely made to measure for my face, to have a tight fit. For now I don't have many experience with this kind of masks (only with a closed secutor helmet, which leaves some space)., but there must be some lining, only because of the sweat.
ALA I BATAVORUM
yeah, the mask of my work is bigger - mea culpa :oops: ....but I didn't know the size of the oryginal piece befor I started... and all work I made only by pictures ( I asked for any information about this mask somwhere in this Forum...but I get not to more Sad (
...with this it 'll be much easyer to do

...and the mask looks differnd on every picture (some details and proportions was changed)

...I know my mask isn't perfect ...but I promes neaxt one will be better Smile
hej, I found interesting thing - reconstruction of the face by Kalkriese mask

if it's Varus ....he looks like Denis Hooper a bit Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kalkriese mask III - raised one Nieczar 12 3,127 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Kalkriese mask by Nieczar part II Nieczar 36 7,166 07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Nieczar
  Interesting article about the Kalkriese mask! Virilis 20 5,228 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs