Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman novel cover art
Hello again - a different question on the subject of my novel 'Wounds of Honour', set in the 180's on Hadrian's Wall, which will be published later this year. We - myself and my editor - are struggling a little on the point of the book's cover art. The publisher wants to do this right, which is pleasing, and have asked me to help them with ideas for a cover. I've seen some fairly awful cover art for this sort of book recently (no names, no pack drill), and some pretty good ones too. I've got a copy of Bernard Cornwell's 'Azincourt' in front of me, and I'd count that as one of the better efforts.

The story of the book is, in short, renegade Roman nobleman (unjustly accused, of course) joins auxiliary cohort on the Wall (Tungrians, actually), proves himself and then fights in the rebellion of the 180s that claimed the life of 'a Roman general. My publisher is keen to come up with an iconic image for this story, and will avoid putting any faces on the cover (they're always wrong). Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks and regards,

Tony.
I just had a thought Tony how about a good shot of Hadrians' Wall with a guy sitting no face shown on a rock in Sycamore Gap, that might just put Robin Hood on his back.
Brian Stobbs
Something similar like a typical painting by Caspar David Friedrich, where a man stands alone in a great landscape, so maybe an auxiliary soldier in a back view.
--- Marcus F. ---
I would also say Hadrian that he should stand with sword drawn in his hand just like Gladiator, but the sword pointing downwards and also his head.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks chaps, all helpful.

Best regards,

Tony.
Have you seen the [hardback] cover of Simon Scarrows 'Centurion' - very atmospheric closeup, distinctly 'Roman' and shows no faces.

Supplementary - Who is the unit in the photo - does anybody know? Good picture - and unusual - in that it shows pila being used.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
Yes, I'm familiar with the cover of which you write. Of course half the trick here is not to copy other author's 'brand identifiers', or to put it more plainly, the things that make you put your hand in your pocket. I know what you mean though, one of the better covers I've seen.

Thanks,

Tony.
Hi Tony,
I am looking forward to reading your book. Story sounds really great and hopefully it's going to be a success so we will get a whole series of novels.

As for the cover you'll be needing something new and unique. Obviously a difficult task but important nontheless. I guess I bought quite a few book myself just because I liked the cover art.

Here my ideas:
A painted miniature
[Image: auxiliary.jpg]

or

Reconstuction
[Image: zzHadrianswall.jpg]

Good luck!

Cheers

S.P.
Andreas ( <-- Greek name!)

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM[/b]
Andreas. I do have to say I like the reconstruction of Hadrians' Wall, however the Turret should have it's door at the left or the right corner rather than at the center of the wall to be correct that is.
Brian Stobbs
Great modelling. This was one of the things I turned my hand to with a remarkable degree of failure before I realised that it was indeed words or nothing. Not sure that sure a concept would work for a mass market paperback, but I have only th highest respect for your skills.
Quote:Have you seen the [hardback] cover of Simon Scarrows 'Centurion' - very atmospheric closeup, distinctly 'Roman' and shows no faces.

Supplementary - Who is the unit in the photo - does anybody know? Good picture - and unusual - in that it shows pila being used.

If it is the cover I am thinking of, it is the RMRS, LEGio XIIII GMV
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hi Tony,
I am looking forward to reading your book. Story sounds really great and hopefully it's going to be a success so we will get a whole series of novels.

As for the cover you'll be needing something new and unique. Obviously a difficult task but important nontheless. I guess I bought quite a few book myself just because I liked the cover art.

Here my ideas:
A painted miniature
[Image: auxiliary.jpg]

or

Reconstuction
[Image: zzHadrianswall.jpg]

Good luck!

Cheers

S.P.

That was one of my first reconstructions of Hadrians wall. Yes the door is off a bit. I shall be returning to recreate a proper turret on Hadrians Wall very soon.
I do some customized work if you are interested ....

Cheers -
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Like I said before, amazing modeling skills. Wait until you've read the book (out in August) and then talk to me about a potential commission (please).

Thanks,

Tony.
Quote:Like I said before, amazing modeling skills. Wait until you've read the book (out in August) and then talk to me about a potential commission (please).

Thanks,

Tony.

Thanks, Well when you are ready let me know. You know where to get me.
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Hello,

I might've missed it, but do you have an artist to paint the cover yet?
I've done a few book covers in the past and I'm trying to make a living as a fantasy/historical illustrator. I've painted (and will be painting) some illustrations for Europa Barbarorum so I know how important historical accuracy is.

Check out my gallery and if you're interested in cooperation of some kind, send me an email to JanPospisil42 AT gmail.com Smile
(non-fantasy pictures are mostly in the Selected Works and Europa Barbarorum subsections.)

[url:19qybme3]http://merlkir.deviantart.com/gallery/[/url]
Jan Pospisil - fantasy/historical/archaeology illustration
My Portfolio:
http://merlkir.deviantart.com
My Blog: 
http://janpospisil.blogspot.com