Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Iraqianus
[Image: iraq_ashura_bag.jpg]

[Image: ashura_day_two.jpg]

I just saw this accidentally in the web-news. Shiite Muslims celebrating Ashura and waving swords that look amazingly like Roman ones. Does anybody know, how old this sword-design is and wether it was maybe inspired by the Roman empire?
--- Marcus F. ---
They do look a bit like gladii. They look also like they'd do the job intended pretty well. Confusedhock:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That, my friends is, the famed Iraqi qama - the shape is the same as the kindjal found all over the Caucausus, Crimea, and bits of real estate nearby, but the folks in what is now Iraq ramped it up to gladius size.

I have some lovely old pieces in my collection (ranging from C. 1950, back to about C. 1780) and they are remarkably similar in size to each other, as well as my repro gladii.

Can't really improve on good design - why bother trying? Big Grin
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
On his Legio XX site, Matt Amt has instructions on converting a Museum Replicas qama into a gladius.
Pecunia non olet
There is a hunting dagger from georgia tha tis similar, if a little smaller.
The repouse work on the scabbard and grip is pretty nice.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel