Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Tactics
Quote: My understanding of the fulcum comes wholly from Rance's paper, so any other opinions are welcome, but he describes the formation as shields ovelapping to the boss and possibly in two levels.
There seems to be two versions, one a 'moving' fulcum, and 'stationary'. The rows of shields can be up to to three - one rank kneels, one rank stoops, one rank guards from overhead.

Quote: This is a very different formation that a hoplite phalanx or a simple one-rank shield wall with round shields. Even oval shields would provide little in the way of a "v" at the top to fight over in a fulcum.
I'm not sure I follow that. What do you mean by "a V at the top"?

Quote: Then there is fashion. As spatha armed cavalry became recognized as superior troops, do you really want to walk around with a sword half the size? The threat to manhood is obvious :wink:
Ah, but a gladius is not half the size of a spatha. Some are quite long too. And don't forget that the classic auxilia also had spathae?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
PMBardunias:1m5uw81d Wrote:This is a very different formation that a hoplite phalanx or a simple one-rank shield wall with round shields. Even oval shields would provide little in the way of a "v" at the top to fight over in a fulcum.

Take a row of circles or ovals, overlap them in an even line, a series of 'V' shaped notches or indentations appear at the top and bottom.

As I remember it the Strategikon specifically mentions spears being thrust though the gaps between the shields in the fulcum.

The multi-layered shield wall could be used for defence or for the approach to the enemy, when protection from missiles is paramount. It isn't stated overtly, but the only logical way it could work when coming into physical contact with the enemy is if the front three ranks all had their shields on the same level. Ranks two and three could then put their shoulders to their shields and provide physical support for those in front. The fulcum would transform into an ordinary shield wall on contact with the enemy, as protection from missiles would become very much a secondary consideration when the engagement was shield to shield and spear to spear.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:f0we6bw9 Wrote:
PMBardunias:f0we6bw9 Wrote:This is a very different formation that a hoplite phalanx or a simple one-rank shield wall with round shields. Even oval shields would provide little in the way of a "v" at the top to fight over in a fulcum.
Take a row of circles or ovals, overlap them in an even line, a series of 'V' shaped notches or indentations appear at the top and bottom.
Ah, right. Now I understand.

Quote:As I remember it the Strategikon specifically mentions spears being thrust though the gaps between the shields in the fulcum.
Yup. Or used overhead by ranks 4-8.

Quote:The multi-layered shield wall could be used for defence or for the approach to the enemy, when protection from missiles is paramount. It isn't stated overtly, but the only logical way it could work when coming into physical contact with the enemy is if the front three ranks all had their shields on the same level. Ranks two and three could then put their shoulders to their shields and provide physical support for those in front. The fulcum would transform into an ordinary shield wall on contact with the enemy, as protection from missiles would become very much a secondary consideration when the engagement was shield to shield and spear to spear.
I agree. Especially rank two can put the shoulder into the shield, but rank three already has to put it on their heads. There is simply no more room to stand behind two men begfore you and still put your shoulder into the shield. And since it's impossible to support your shield with an extended arm, practise learns that the third shield in the stack is already nearly horizontal or at best at an 45 degree angle. All behind this man can only cover their heads with a horizontally held shield.

[Image: 2006archeon_Igermanica9.jpg]

I can say from experience that this formation is very hard to keep up for a longer period of time, especially if you're behind the second rank.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I'm not sure I would like to be in the 3rd rank with my shield over my head in a close-combat situation. If the two men in front of me were cut down I would feel very vulnerable, especially if the shields of the men either side of me prevented me bringing mine down quickly. Confusedhock:
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:There seems to be two versions, one a 'moving' fulcum, and 'stationary'. The rows of shields can be up to to three - one rank kneels, one rank stoops, one rank guards from overhead.

How would you describe the "moving" fulcum? Rance describes a system of two layers of shields advancing in the face of missile fire.

As I gave as a disclaimer, this is not my time period, but I recall that there was "pushing with the knee" at Strousbourg I think. Would these have been front rank men kneeling? I have seen hoplite reenactors trying to borrow this concept , wrongly in my opinion.

Also, I find the evolution of this formation in the roman context interesting. Is there evidence for the testudo formation used in sieges, etc. predating the use of the fulcum on the open battlefield? It would seem to me that most shield-wall formations evolved as spear armed infantry developed closer order tacics, but in the roman context I wonder if it was the borrowing of a fully formed anti-missile tactic from one context and applied to the opened battlefield.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
With a moving fulcum there wouldn't be a kneeling rank, for obvious reasons.

Pushing with the knee is necessary to balance pushing with the shoulder when standing upright. If you don't brace the bottom of the shield with the knee when pushing with the shoulder the lower shield rim is just bashed against the shins.

The Late Romans used the classic testudo, Julian led one against the arched gate of a Persian fortress - unsuccessfully. However, the fulcum, as it was used in open battle, would have had to be a more adaptable formation.
I think it may have been used by auxilliaries - after all they had thrusting spears and oval shields - before becoming of general Roman use when most Roman heavy infantry were armed in a similar fashion.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote: I think it may have been used by auxilliaries - after all they had thrusting spears and oval shields - before becoming of general Roman use when most Roman heavy infantry were armed in a similar fashion.

That makes sense to me.

Quote:Pushing with the knee is necessary to balance pushing with the shoulder when standing upright. If you don't brace the bottom of the shield with the knee when pushing with the shoulder the lower shield rim is just bashed against the shins.

I hear a hoplite laughing :wink: The lack of depth and central grip is something of a problem as well as the shape.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:especially if the shields of the men either side of me prevented me bringing mine down quickly. Confusedhock:
That's not the case, I can assure you. When the shields in front of you are down, you can move your shield freely. Only when all are up it can be quite a clanging and banging.. Big Grin

Quote:The Late Romans used the classic testudo, Julian led one against the arched gate of a Persian fortress - unsuccessfully. However, the fulcum, as it was used in open battle, would have had to be a more adaptable formation.
I think it may have been used by auxilliaries - after all they had thrusting spears and oval shields - before becoming of general Roman use when most Roman heavy infantry were armed in a similar fashion.
The name 'fulcum' from Maurice is in fact both something like the testudo (but performed across the whole front) as well as the anti-cavalry formation, I think described by Arrian. I agree with Everett Wheeler that these formations were not an 'evolution' but part of the Roman tactical inventory the whole time. They just became more important again later on.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I agree with Everett Wheeler that these formations were not an 'evolution' but part of the Roman tactical inventory the whole time. They just became more important again later on.

They had to evolve at some point. Do you think they were a direct continuation of old phalanx tactics, just seldom used and adapted to the new shield type? Perhaps from a seperate non-hoplite tration? Would they have been used at Carrhae for example?
Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Infantry Tactics by M. J. Taylor antiochus 14 3,928 02-18-2015, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  Roman Dislike of Tactics/Ambushes etc? Lyceum 9 2,606 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Aelian and Roman Tactics 100AD? Anonymous 15 4,658 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Last Post: ywanell