Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching for New Books
I am looking for a biography of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, the man who defeated Hannibal in Zama and won the Second Punic War. I'd like you to advise me to a good reading. That same biography should be very complex, detailed, only if possible.

I'd also like a good book about the Roman Republic - its politics and society, if not history. Then, a book about Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla, and about their Civil War. I'm opened to further sugestions about any book about the Roman Republic and its heroes.

Oh, and not to forget the Gracchus brothers! As I said, I'm opened to further sugestions.
Marcus Manlius Varro, born in the Province of Lusitannia
(Antonio Araujo)
Alexander Acimovic, Scipio Africanus (New York, 2007; ISBN 978-0-595-43545-6) is fine if you take into account these remarks. You may also appreciate Appian's Civil Wars; there's an excellent Penguin.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I might also recommend the Cambridge Ancient History series.

The Rise of Rome to 220 B.C.
Rome and the Mediterranean to 133 B.C.
The Last Age of the Roman Republic

This last book may be good for the time frame you are looking for.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
About the roman republic exist two companions: one of blackwell, the other of cambridge. For the gracchi period, you can read the first part of Gabba's book "Republican Rome, the army, the allies" it is a companion of Gabba's articles.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for high-quality books Titus Martius 25 5,098 06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius