Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinned Armor types
Being a confirmed opponent of rust and the clean up work involved I am looking for evidence of tinned armor of different types and what reconstructions have been made.
I know that tinned squamata are available: Armamentaria
The Romans had the ability to tin the Lorica Segmentatia and Hamatas
but would it have been considered worth the effort and expense to do so?
And has anyone seen any examples of tinned reconstructions?
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
The Romans did do tinning of various bits of kit even Helmets, however as you say doing this kind of protective coating to major items such as armour would have been astronomical in cost for new commisioned units. I think it would have been very much the same as today in the military you get issued with the kit and you have got to take care of it and keep it up to scratch. I have myself cheated in the past by making Segmentata in stainless steel, however I make a seg' in a more different manner to anyone else in the business and it dont look like stainless when finished for I do it in the original fashion.
Brian Stobbs
I've seen samples of tinned mail. I posted some pics somewhere on here.. Difficult to do and after a while wears off with mail.
I have a tinned seg on the way, so will let you know when i get it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I have a tinned seg on the way, so will let you know when i get it.

Please do. I'm interested how the tin will stay there where plates could plane each other.
ALA I BATAVORUM